• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG from Japan.... (1 Viewer)

Bob,

I was talking about the HG/LX not the HG/L there is a difference in armor, that is all I was commenting on.

Andy W.

So....an option...

What do y'all think of the 8X32 Premier? Compared to the EDG?

It is the same binocular as the 8x32 HGL/LXL. There was no 10x32 Premier but there were 8x42 and 10x42 Premiers. You can find them in Nikon's archived binoculars.

Bob

Bob,

I was talking about the HG/LX not the HG/L there is a difference in armor, that is all I was commenting on.

Andy W.

I never saw an HG or an LX. I'm pretty sure that their lenses were made with leaded glass. Although it didn't contribute much to their weight, I'm suppose.

Here is a 10x32 HG from Allbinos with 2 good reviews. It doesn't look much different than my HGL does.

https://www.allbinos.com/95-Nikon_HG_10x32_DCF-binoculars_specifications.html

The boxes my LXLs came in have HGL printed on them.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,

I guess we got off the EDG topic, oh well...

Bino info on Nikon HG DCF binos
8X42 and 10X42 introduced in 1997 lead glass
8X32 and 10X32 introduced in 2002 with no lead eco-friendly glass (never had lead glass)
LXL 8X32 and 10X32, 8X42 and 10X42 introduced in 2004
LXL changed to the name Premier in 2012

The slight weight difference between the LX and LX L was the armor, there was only 15-20 grams of difference between them both in 8 and 10X32.

Andy W.

Bob,

Andy W.

I never saw an HG or an LX. I'm pretty sure that their lenses were made with leaded glass. Although it didn't contribute much to their weight, I'm suppose.

Here is a 10x32 HG from Allbinos with 2 good reviews. It doesn't look much different than my HGL does.

https://www.allbinos.com/95-Nikon_HG_10x32_DCF-binoculars_specifications.html

The boxes my LXLs came in say HGL on them.

Bob

Bob,

I guess we got off the EDG thread.....oh well

8X32 and 10X32 introduced in 2002 with no lead eco-friendly glass

The weight difference of the HG and the HG L in 8 and 10X32 was only 15-20 grams, the armor was heavier on the HG. Both were made with Al bodies. The HG s in 8 and 10X42 were originally made with AL bodies but were converted to Mg in the LX Ls, ergo the lighter weight.

Andy W.

Bob,

I guess we got off the EDG thread.....oh well

8X32 and 10X32 introduced in 2002 with no lead eco-friendly glass

The weight difference of the HG and the HG L in 8 and 10X32 was only 15-20 grams, the armor was heavier on the HG. Both were made with Al bodies. The HG s in 8 and 10X42 were originally made with AL bodies but were converted to Mg in the LX Ls, ergo the lighter weight.

Andy W.

Well, there it is Andy,

All one needs to know about the Nikon HGs, HGLs, LX, LXLs and Premiers or, for that matter, all I need to know or want to know!;)

Bob

Bob,

How about that heat today, brutal.

The weight of the 8 and 10 were high because they used the same large eyepieces that were used in the 8 and 10X42, they have great eye relief.... sorry just had to add that. I still use the LX on bright days.

Ok, enough of the HG...HG/Ls

Andy W.

Last edited:
I want to add my 2 bits to this discussion, I own the 10x42 EDG, and have since they came out.

A very nice binocular, and it does everything right. I have owned the 8x32 EDG for a while, and
I did not find it as good as the 10x42 overall. I closely compared the 8x32 EDG to the 8x32 SE,
and the SE was just as good optically, and handled stray light better.

As far as the LX models, I own the 8x42, and it is a very nice binocular, I really like its view, it
is very sharp, and its focuser and quality are superb. This binocular when introduced was the
reference standard on "Better View Desired". This site is a very good resource on older binoculars,
up to the early 2000 period.

As far as the 32mm LX models, I owned the 10x32 LXL for a time, and found its focuser speed to
be too fast for me. The 10x32 is not a very popular size, and a quick focuser makes it harder to use.
I would like to try a 8x32 some day, that would be better to handle.

The quality of the Japanese made LX, HGL, and EDG models is very high, and that is a great thing.

Jerry

Hi Chuck:

Here is a pic of the Premier LXL and the EDG. As you can see the, the Premier is shorter, and its strap lugs flair out more. It also has a really broad bridge. For me, the ergonomics favor the EDG; the Premier is like a tank. The focusers are both very smooth, and as mentioned above, the diopters have different locations. Focusing speed is noticeably faster in the Premier. As far as the view, both seem to have the same size field, with really good flare suppression and medium-high contrast. The Premier shows some CA towards the edges. What sets them apart are the color presentation and apparent sharpness. The Premier has silver coated prisms, and has a decidedly warm color to its image. The EDG uses dielectric coatings and is pleasantly neutral. As far as apparent sharpness, the EDG is competitive with many of the other "alphas" out there, whereas the Premier, while "sharp enough" for my purposes, might lag a bit behind the Conquest HD, maybe more comparable to the B1 Meostar. Overall, I would rate the Premier as still competitive with models selling under $1000, but it won't appeal to everybody. The EDG on the other hand, deserved to be compared to the top models from the Big 3.

I just checked online, and it appears that B&H has some Premiers in stock for $999. I'm surprised because I understood that this model was discontinued a few years ago.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611065-USA/Nikon_7534_8x32_Premier_Binocular.html

Attachments

• DSCN2035.JPG
    DSCN2035.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 61
It is the same binocular as the 8x32 HGL/LXL. There was no 10x32 Premier but there were 8x42 and 10x42 Premiers. You can find them in Nikon's archived binoculars.

Bob

Thanks Bob..

Bob,

I guess we got off the EDG topic, oh well...

8X32 and 10X32 introduced in 2002 with no lead eco-friendly glass (never had lead glass)

The slight weight difference between the LX and LX L was the armor, there was only 15-20 grams of difference between them both in 8 and 10X32.

Andy W.

Good info Andy...

I want to add my 2 bits to this discussion, I own the 10x42 EDG, and have since they came out.

A very nice binocular, and it does everything right. I have owned the 8x32 EDG for a while, and
I did not find it as good as the 10x42 overall. I closely compared the 8x32 EDG to the 8x32 SE,
and the SE was just as good optically, and handled stray light better.

As far as the LX models, I own the 8x42, and it is a very nice binocular, I really like its view, it
is very sharp, and its focuser and quality are superb. This binocular when introduced was the
reference standard on "Better View Desired". This site is a very good resource on older binoculars,
up to the early 2000 period.

As far as the 32mm LX models, I owned the 10x32 LXL for a time, and found its focuser speed to
be too fast for me. The 10x32 is not a very popular size, and a quick focuser makes it harder to use.
I would like to try a 8x32 some day, that would be better to handle.

The quality of the Japanese made LX, HGL, and EDG models is very high, and that is a great thing.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry...

Hi Chuck:

Here is a pic of the Premier LXL and the EDG. As you can see the, the Premier is shorter, and its strap lugs flair out more. It also has a really broad bridge. For me, the ergonomics favor the EDG; the Premier is like a tank. The focusers are both very smooth, and as mentioned above, the diopters have different locations. Focusing speed is noticeably faster in the Premier. As far as the view, both seem to have the same size field, with really good flare suppression and medium-high contrast. The Premier shows some CA towards the edges. What sets them apart are the color presentation and apparent sharpness. The Premier has silver coated prisms, and has a decidedly warm color to its image. The EDG uses dielectric coatings and is pleasantly neutral. As far as apparent sharpness, the EDG is competitive with many of the other "alphas" out there, whereas the Premier, while "sharp enough" for my purposes, might lag a bit behind the Conquest HD, maybe more comparable to the B1 Meostar. Overall, I would rate the Premier as still competitive with models selling under $1000, but it won't appeal to everybody. The EDG on the other hand, deserved to be compared to the top models from the Big 3.

I just checked online, and it appears that B&H has some Premiers in stock for $999. I'm surprised because I understood that this model was discontinued a few years ago.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611065-USA/Nikon_7534_8x32_Premier_Binocular.html

Thanks....Kinda what I was looking for. I have the 8X42 EDG II and overall I feel like it's the best 8X42 I have, all things considered. I appreciate your comparison of the EDG and Premier. I wasn't aware of the prism coating difference between the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back