• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus 550 results (1 Viewer)

To get any decent pictures with a compact zoom I would suggest not using any converter lens with it. I use my Panasonic FZ5 to get quick shots when I find the DSLR to big to carry around. It only has 12x zoom not 18x like the Olympus and I don't use a converter as this seriously affects the image quality.Both pictures were taken without a converter , you will never get DSLR quality but thats not the point of these cameras.

Attachments

• curlew.jpg
    curlew.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Puffin2.jpg
    Puffin2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 123
Again, I say that you cannot bad mouth this camera until you know whether these soft-focus shots are the result of camera shake or bad focusing. Am I the only person out there who thinks this??

RAH,
I agree with you and I would add that the light is too harsh (midday) in many of the photos to get good results. I'm waiting for someone to do some tests in good light , on a tripod , at wide to tele on the lens, of a static subject at reasonable distance (eg 7 - 15 metres ). Neil.

(Again, I say that you cannot bad mouth this camera until you know whether these soft-focus shots are the result of camera shake or bad focusing. Am I the only person out there who thinks this??)

RAH
I would agree too, I didn't mean to sound like I was bad mouthing the Olympus, just the use of teleconverters. I think with an 18x zoom and Image stabilization that should be all you need to get half decent pictures.

Markho, actually I've had good luck with my Oly C-750 plus TCON-17 teleconverter. I wasn't responding to your post directly, but just pointing out that we need better tests under more controlled conditions to evaluate this camera, as Neil says.

The reason this is especially important with this particular camera is the absolutely terrible review it got from dpreview, especially its inability to focus. This, coupled with the fact that it is a VERY desirable camera, specification-wise, makes all us folks who were thinking about buying one hope that perhaps the review is wrong or at least things aren't as bad as they sound in ACTUAL USE. So seeing these soft-focus shots taken without a tripod is kind of frustrating because it isn't really meaningful.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the review is accurate and that the camera has focusing problems, even if you nailed it to the floor.

Last edited:
I'm going to get contraversial here (again). This is the longest thread with some of the worst bird photos I've ever see on this site. I suggest you all return the camera to Olympus and demand your money back.

I just blundered into this thread and like Neil I was surprised by the poor quality of the photos. I'd actually thought briefly of these 'superzoom' cameras before plumping for a DSLR.........

I used to occasionally use my Nikon P4 (with only a 3.5 zoom) on the hoof for 'record shots' and with cropping/sharpening it looked better than most of the shots on this thread.

Please understand I'm not criticising anybody's photo techniques and I don't want to denigrate those who bought the camera (in priniciple the specs sounded great. I considered it too) but I think if I'd bought it I'd definitely be asking for my money back.

Birds aside is it a decent camera for landscapes/portraits?

Just taken a few more photos. Never having used more than a 200mm lense with a film camera it's difficult to comment. I am definitely not happy with the focus problems-it's very annoying. I am (as stated previously) very happy with having a small camera, easy to carry, that gives me the opportunity to photograph things/birds I have never been in a position to photograph. These were all taken on full zoom-no crop. I just don't think you can get this with £300 worth of kit.

Attachments

• Tufte Ducks.JPG
    Tufte Ducks.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 118
  • GW flying.JPG
    GW flying.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 120
  • BHG on job.JPG
    BHG on job.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 94
  • BHG Diving.JPG
    BHG Diving.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 119
Dave I think you are expecting far too much from this camera. Even with a top quality DSLR using a 500mm lens you still need to get extremely close for a really good picture , that shows lots of fine detail. If you look at the gallery pictures I guarantee all the good ones were taken from a hide or vehicle or something similar where the bird came close . Or they just got lucky.

Markho
I fully agree with your comments except that I am not "expecting". This is actually my point-this camera allows me to get these shots-I know if I want top quality it has to be from a hide at 5/10 metres. The camera does have faults, no question-but for the money and for the flexibility you get I think it's quite good.

I was recently in Florida at an egret rookery with lot's of guys with Canon/Nikon 100 -400 zoom and I had my Nikon D2x plus 300/f4 AFS lens. It was amazing how difficult it was to get on the birds flying in and out to build their nests as they were on us quickly. The guys with the 100-400 zooms were mostly getting "back" views as their autofocus was too slow to lock on quickly. Even my AFS 300 lens was slower than I expected/wanted.
With the Olympus the lens will be too slow at full zoom to lock on to fast moving birds (in the air or in the tree ), particularly if they are small in the frame. You might be better off Manual Focussing (if possible) or pre-focussing on a stationary object at the same distance as the subject.
You will also get better results if you back off the zoom to 2/3rds and shoot later/earlier in the day and of course get closer. Practice on mallards in your local pond to see the best you can get from the camera. Neil

I think threads such as this are invaluable, better than reading a review conducted in sterile conditions. All credit to the guys for posting up their images, sure they can improve technique (can’t we all), they will get better as they get use to the camera. As they stated they primarily want to use this camera out walking to record details. On that basis you have to judge the result, by looking past their images and ascertaining whether this camera suits your requirements.

We don’t have too much choice at the moment; I am disappointed with Nikon and Canon’s latest effort. Both could have improved their flagship compact camera. The market is crying out for a top class compact which impacts the lower reaches of the DSLR range, unfortunately neither of the big two are going to produce such a camera.

I am in full agreement.
You cannot believe the stick I get from my better half, after buying this underperfoming camera and complaining about it.
The point is that the marketing leans heavily on the 18x, image stabilisation
in addition, the fact that you can increase the zoom with the 1.7.
The latter being quite an expensive add on, if it does not work properly.
I do not pretend to understand the science, I was hoping for a point and shoot camera that would give me images I enjoy.
I also hoped that the 10m pixels would help to give good resolution images after cropping, regrettably it doesn't.
I will give it another crack in Lesvos next week, however I'm not betting on a huge improvement and will still be taking my old 770 out with me.
Anyway, thanks to everyone for keeping the thread going, at least I have some confidence that it's not just me who has the problem.
Best
Mick

We don’t have too much choice at the moment; I am disappointed with Nikon and Canon’s latest effort. Both could have improved their flagship compact camera. The market is crying out for a top class compact which impacts the lower reaches of the DSLR range, unfortunately neither of the big two are going to produce such a camera.[/QUOTE]

I'm in total agreement with your comment. Surely in this day & age they should be able to produce a compact with the zoom and something like the quality. When & if they do I will trade in. I am going in for a DSLR soon but will not get rid of the 550 as it is so versatile and gives me shots for my personal records that I could not get with a full DSLR (as I wouldn't carry it around on long walks).
I don't think I feel as bad about it as Mick seems to-perhaps I am easier pleased.

David,

Nikon have the technology to produce a top rate compact, but, it would impact on their lens market. Their S5000 is very good, but it just lacks those little additions which appeal. The same with Canon's G7.

Perhaps a glimmer of hope will arise from Sony or Fuji and they might just come up with the goods.

Good idea to keep the Oly and take it with you when you use the DSLR.

Neil
Yes-these shots are very good. I find that for general shots I am very happy. It's when you have to focus quickly at full zoom that it is lacking. Even then, as I say, I think I have what I paid for.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back