• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x50 Br (1 Viewer)

dries1

Got one in a trade for an item I will never use again and to my surprise not much use. It is in great shape, and after being made from 2003 - 2007 is still an excellent glass. I already have the HD+ but after viewing with it during the day, there is not much difference with the HD+. I will see how they perform under the night sky, when I have time and a clear sky.
Since I use 10X more these days and at night, I will likely keep them.

These leica Ultravids are great even the older BRs and if you can get one in good shape regardless of the format, jump on it.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF5311.jpg
    DSCF5311.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF5312.jpg
    DSCF5312.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF5313.jpg
    DSCF5313.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 65
I'm SO tempted by a 10x50 UV, but honestly don't think I could justify it as I have a NV 10x42. And after all, no one here buys a bino that it strictly speaking superfluous to requirements, do they.........8-P

I take it that 'superfluous to requirements' is? :-O

If I buy a 10x50 UV I anticipate some 'speaking strictly' from my lovely wife! ;)

Mike you know very well that when it comes to binos there is no such thing as 'superfluous to requirements'. Please persuade your dear lady to join Birdforum and then she will be bound by the 'no speaking strictly' ethos too. :-O

Lee

Mike you know very well that when it comes to binos there is no such thing as 'superfluous to requirements'. Please persuade your dear lady to join Birdforum and then she will be bound by the 'no speaking strictly' ethos too. :-O

Lee

:-O:-O:-OB :)

I think the BR's and even the Trinovids are the best bargains in the Leica line because I have never seen a lot of difference between them and the Ultravid Plus. Allbino's agree's.

"So we have a situation where the Ultravid HD doesn’t differ markedly from the Ultravid BR and the Ultravid BR is an almost identical copy of the Trinovid but clothed in a lighter casing. It seems that for almost 25 years Leica haven’t introduced any innovative optical solutions to its key series of binoculars. To sum up the Leica Ultravid 10x42 HD-Plus is a very good set of binoculars - almost exactly as good as its direct predecessors and the predecessors of its predecessors too. We hope the next model of this series will be truly different, not a merely refreshed version of the same device with just a few cosmetic changes."

Last edited:
I think the BR's and even the Trinovids are the best bargains in the Leica line because I have never seen a lot of difference between them and the Ultravid Plus. Allbino's agree's.

"So we have a situation where the Ultravid HD doesn’t differ markedly from the Ultravid BR and the Ultravid BR is an almost identical copy of the Trinovid but clothed in a lighter casing. It seems that for almost 25 years Leica haven’t introduced any innovative optical solutions to its key series of binoculars."

If Allbinos wants more "innovative optical solutions" I think that they would do well to first define the problems they want solved.

If Allbinos wants more "innovative optical solutions" I think that they would do well to first define the problems they want solved.
I think what Allbino's means by innovative optical solutions is the flat field designs of their top ranked binoculars like the Swarovision, EDG and SF which have less distortion and bigger sweet spots and sharp edges and in some cases less CA. Also, ergonomic advances like the SF's rearward weight distribution, better located focuser and the SV's FP package for better convenience in the field. It will be interesting to see how they rank the Noctivid when they eventually test it and if they consider it to have any innovative optical solutions. It is not flat field nor does it sound like it is the best binocular at controlling CA although it does sound like it controls glare quite well. The ergonomics have been criticized by some people also so I predict it would be ranked slightly above the Ultravid Plus but still below the top ranked binoculars. Time will tell.

Allbinos should have defined them. Then they would have had something specific to criticize.

Anyway binoculars have had all those innovations you mention like sharp edges, flat fields and big sweet spots for years. The old Nikon HGs and SEs had them.

And how does a gimmick like turning the Schmidt/Pechan roof prisms upside down and making the binocular longer qualify as an ergonomic improvement? It is hard to believe that no one ever considered that before.

Dennis
It does rather sound as though Allbinos are asking for change just for the sake of having something new. Not everyone is in love with flat fields which is why Swaro keeps its SLC line going. For sure from a purely commercial point of view you could argue Leica needed something to freshen up its product line and they have given us Noctivid. Meanwhile the Ultravid is a satisfying bino just like predecessors.

Lee

Dennis
It does rather sound as though Allbinos are asking for change just for the sake of having something new. Not everyone is in love with flat fields which is why Swaro keeps its SLC line going. For sure from a purely commercial point of view you could argue Leica needed something to freshen up its product line and they have given us Noctivid. Meanwhile the Ultravid is a satisfying bino just like predecessors.

Lee
That is true. Allbino's does favor flat field designs because they consider them more optically perfect but not everybody likes them and the RB that bothers some people. I guess their point is Leica hasn't really changed anything much on their main line binoculars from the older Trinovid or BR to the new Ultravid Plus and I agree with them. But if that is what you prefer why change them? If you like the Leica view get a Trinovid or BR and save some money.

Last edited:
"It does rather sound as though Allbinos are asking for change just for the sake of having something new. Not everyone is in love with flat fields which is why Swaro keeps its SLC line going. For sure from a purely commercial point of view you could argue Leica needed something to freshen up its product line and they have given us Noctivid. Meanwhile the Ultravid is a satisfying bino just like predecessors".

Lee
+1

If it is not broken what is there to fix. The views of the Ultravid 10X50s are immersive to me, great contrast and color and for me, I see more detail when viewing without a flat field. Anyone looking for a premium 10X50 will not be disappointed with the BR, HD or the HD+.
I have to give Swarovski a thumbs up, I got my EL SV 8.5X42 back and the focus is now as new with new eyecups. Both Zeiss and Swarovski provide great customer service from my experience, additionally I have never had an issue with any glass from Leica, (they are very well built).

Andy W.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back