• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner said:
Ah no... its shorter than Hawthorn - actually it looks most like the Sloe one CJW posted, but without the hairs... I'm sure you will ID it Harry!

Well spotted Jane, your learning quickly, the hairs on the pronotum are very fine and don't always show up in photographs. It looks like your becoming a budding Hemipterist.

Harry

Jane Turner said:
I'm pretty far north! Map ref = SJ214893, taken today!

You may think your in the north Jane, but not as far north as me. lol. As far I am concerned Merseyside is in the Midlands. I'ts just a matter of viewpoint dependant on where you live. lol. Thanks for the record data, can you give me the location on Merseyside I don't have a map of that area. Thanks

Harry

Jane Turner said:
Will get the green ones in the front later... I'm guessing gorse since I have gorse plants!

It's quite possible that your right Jane, but there are several other green Shieldbugs that are a possibility as well. Post a picture if you can get one.
Gorse shieldbugs have been out of hibernation for some time so you should be seeing them now.

Harry.

harry eales said:
You may think your in the north Jane, but not as far north as me. lol. As far I am concerned Merseyside is in the Midlands. I'ts just a matter of viewpoint dependant on where you live. lol. Thanks for the record data, can you give me the location on Merseyside I don't have a map of that area. Thanks

Harry
Hi Harry,

Agreed, Merseycide is in the Midlands ;)

Here's the position (at the arrow):
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=321450&y=389350&z=4&sv=321450,389350&st=4&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=719

Michael

harry, this one was in an MV moth trap this morning. I'd guess about middling in size (ie, I've seen larger)

Attachments

• shield001.jpg
    shield001.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 366
Angus T said:
harry, this one was in an MV moth trap this morning. I'd guess about middling in size (ie, I've seen larger)

Hi Angus,

Your photograph is a specimen of The Hawthorn Shieldbug Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale a post hibernation specimen. Not at all uncommon in Ireland including the northern counties. As it's name implies, to be found on Hawthorn, but also can be beaten from almost any berry-bearing tree. It's one of the largest of all the british species so you may have one that suffered undernourishment as a nymph.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hi Angus,

Your photograph is a specimen of The Hawthorn Shieldbug Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale a post hibernation specimen. Not at all uncommon in Ireland including the northern counties. As it's name implies, to be found on Hawthorn, but also can be beaten from almost any berry-bearing tree. It's one of the largest of all the british species so you may have one that suffered undernourishment as a nymph.

Harry
Thanks Harry,
This specimen is only about 12mm long. Do you reference to what is typical size?

Angus T said:
Thanks Harry,
This specimen is only about 12mm long. Do you reference to what is typical size?

hi Angus 15-18 mm is about average size for this little beastie, but smaller sizes are known.

Harry

What have you started, Harry?

I had this one down as a green shieldbug but it's only a guess. I've got a GR and a year but not a precise date, I'm afraid.
Ken

Attachments

• greenshieldbug.jpg
    greenshieldbug.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 348
Surreybirder said:
I had this one down as a green shieldbug but it's only a guess. I've got a GR and a year but not a precise date, I'm afraid.
Ken

Hi Ken,
It is a nymph of the Green Shieldbug Palomena prasina These are not always easy to ID because of changes in appearance in different instars.

Harry

This is the one I see most often, and is often on Dock as this couple were. 'Normal' size.

Thanks Harry.

Attachments

• shield002.jpg
    shield002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 377
Angus T said:
This is the one I see most often, and is often on Dock as this couple were. 'Normal' size.

Thanks Harry.

No problem Angus,
these aren't true Shieldbugs, however, I know what they are. Believe it or not they are called the Dock Bug or Brown leafbug. Coreus marginatus Usually found on Dock growing on disturbed land.

Harry.

These are the only two I have photographed so far in my garden in Elton, NW Cambs (Hunts - VC31 for most recording purposes).

Attachments

• shield_bug_6_sep_03.jpg
    shield_bug_6_sep_03.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 295
  • shield_bug_9_oct_03.jpg
    shield_bug_9_oct_03.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 302
brianhstone said:
These are the only two I have photographed so far in my garden in Elton, NW Cambs (Hunts - VC31 for most recording purposes).

Hi Brian,
You have the Hawthorne Shieldbug and the Green Shieldbug respectively.
You should get several more species in your area. Keep your eyes open.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back