Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nestbox proofed against night predators?

Old Saturday 6th January 2018, 20:10   #1
jurek

Nestbox proofed against night predators?

I casually read that apparently there is a nestbox with a light sensor, which locks at night and keeps night predators out:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ging-nest-spd/

Is it practical to get one at home against martens and cats?
Old Monday 8th January 2018, 11:09   #2
Ruff
Two birds in one.

Strikes me as being over-elaborate and expensive. For the predators you name, perhaps one of these more passive entrance guards would be best?

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,10719,67513
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 04:45   #3
Torchepot

Despite a fair bit of trawling I can't find any details on price or construction (or even a photo) - perhaps someone's been more successful?

The problem with using something like this to try and stop cats and martens is that they are both active by day too. They seem to be particularly good at homing in on the sound of nestlings begging for food. For an open fronted nest box protection is a real problem but for hole nesters making the box very tall with the hole a long way above the floor of the box really helps.

Cats have a huge impact on birdlife the RSPB estimate up to 55 million birds taken annually by cats in the UK!!

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...bird-declines/

Luckily there aren't any cats near us but we do get martens occasionally. Dormice and woodpeckers are more of a problem so I added these stainless steel plates - looking forward to seeing if the birds will still use them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180110_161715~01.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	650972

The Dormice are fixated on enlarging the nest holes and have made a mess of my bespoke boxes so I've retrofitted plates behind the holes - the original hole was the same size as the one in the plate so you can see how much they've enlarged it in just one season.

Name:	IMG_20180110_161741~01.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	650973

I've fitted this one to an isolated tree surrounded by lawn which has stopped them reaching it (so far)

Name:	IMG_20180110_161906~01.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	650974

The problem with the plates is that the Dormice can still get through a 32mm and even a 28mm hole so by using the smaller plates I'm excluding larger hole nesters.

Last edited by Torchepot : Friday 12th January 2018 at 08:34.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: