• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coming back from the shops (again) (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

Of course most journeys back from the shops are relatively uneventful, even using the country lane routes, but every now and again......

I've been trying for a while now to get a decent shot of a Kestrel hovering. A few years ago that wouldn't have been all that difficult around here but in recent years we seem to have 'lost' most of our Kestrels (and replaced them with Buzzards). So having seen one several times in the same area I've been making that one of my 'detours'. Back end of last week I saw it again but it drifted off and I turned off the main road and tried to follow it. Lost it and turned down another Lane to look and there in a field were these two!

I think that one of them is a partial Melanistic (either that or a cross between 'Common' and the 'Dark' birds that the local shooters have been importing from France). The other one is a definite escape but what a suprise to see poncing about in a field! The Silver appeared to be trying to chase the other one off, without ever getting very close, and after a little while gave up and went through a hedge.

Now I must be honest, I knew that there was a Silver around that general area, indeed I'd seen him twice before, once crossing the road (in traffic), and once in a garden, but both of those were about a 1/4 mile away from this sighting, so he gets around a bit. Still, it's an interesting thing to see and this time I got a long and proper look at him (and photos). As I've already seen Common, Lady A, Golden, and Reeves in the wild (plus the 'funny' ones that the shooters bring in) I've pretty well got a full set. Of course I can't 'tick' this one.

Bill.

Attachments

• DS pheasant 'intermediate' in field  .jpg
    DS pheasant 'intermediate' in field .jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DS silver pheasant in field 2.jpg
    DS silver pheasant in field 2.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DS silver pheasant in field 3.jpg
    DS silver pheasant in field 3.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 33
Oh what lovely birds Bill. They remind me of my childhood when an old man(must have been at least 35)had an aviary with all kinds of birds including silvers,golds and lady amhersts.I couldn't stay away from it.Boootifull.
Will you get me a brown loaf next time you go to the shops?

nostalgic maurice

Hi Anthony,

Yes, I'm afraid that's how most people see them. A shame when this is what they look like in all their finery.

Maurice, Sliced?

Cheers Bill

Attachments

• DS pheasant m in field 3.jpg
    DS pheasant m in field 3.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 13
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back