• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Pileated Woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
Well it is official..we have two Pileated Woodpeckers on our farm. We have seen one from time to time but now two together have shown up. I am wondering if they were thinking of starting the Spring is in the air dance. Both Pileateds flew in front of my husbands tractor as he was moving. The birds flew to a tree, went from branch to branch..flew to another tree..no aggression being shown..and continued their flight to other trees. I'm not sure if they would be mating yet but maybe it is on their mind. Anyone have any idea when they do mate? Be cool if they do mate and have at least one offspring survive.

Was no time to get a photo, didn't have camera and they were moving to quick from branch to branch. I hope to get a pic soon but they are hard to catch for a photo. They usually appear when we least expect it. :(

What a nice bird(s) to have on the land. Hopefully they will mate and be able to raise their young.

Thanks Lisa, quite a surprise to see both of them. Hoping I can get a photo of them but a lot of land here so we'll see. Most of the time when we see one is when we aren't thinking about it. I'm not giving up ..some day I'll get that photo.

Good luck with the mating, Ok. I only ever see them in singles. I would be thrilled to have a nesting pair anywhere I could keep an eye on them.

That's wonderful, Pileated Woodpeckers would have to be one of my favourite birds from my trip to the U.S, and yes, they are incredibly difficult to photograph, even when I knew roughly where to find them :p

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back