• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US juv Sparrow id request (1 Viewer)

alibenn

Registered Member
Hi all,

Had three days in San Francisco on my way back from Mexico last week.

This Sparrow (presumably a juv) has eluded my efforts to id it. The bird was in mixed habitat, low bushes and grasses, in the Bay Area of the city. There were many White-crowned and Chipping Sparrows around.

Any suggestions?

cheers,

Alister

Attachments

• Sparrow-id.jpg
    Sparrow-id.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 187
Hi Ali,

Really difficult to tell from that pic (no tail to look at, not a great idea on body shape etc) but it looks closest to a juvenile song sparrow to me - i would expect a bit of a cleaner throat but i'm not up on my western song variations - only seen them in NM - not white crowned - lacks pink bill. chipping sparrow - looks all wrong for one especially lack of eyebrow stripe and eye line you'd see in chipping juve. Your other option would be savannah in the area i guess but the legs seem to dark.

Luke

these pics aren't great but might help: http://mirror-pole.com/sierras/songlinc/song1.htm

thanks for that folks, I have had time to check out more literature and juv Song fits...

I'm going to be spending a lot more time in the USA and Canada, so really keen to get some more shots of these birds, I think they're great...

Alister

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back