• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2004 / 3 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Third trip of the year.

I'm fortunate at this time of year, as my daughter has become a willing accomplice. She can handle the experience about once a week, and as weekday birding is out at the moment, it's nice to be able to manage a walk at the weekend if the weather holds.

Cloudy, breezy and cool today, but there was a reasonable amount of activity.

As in my previous posts for 2004, my new adventure in bird counting continues, and is still a bit hit and miss when the numbers get above about 5!

Id skills let me down on a couple of flocks... one of finch-like birds, and one of tit-like birds, and the woods near to the hotel were pretty busy. If I could have stayed there all day, I would doubtless have got bigger numbers.

Highlights for the day were my firsy singing Skylark of the year, my third Woodpecker species of the year, with a Greater Spotted giving it some serious welly (Black next please!) and Great views of Treecreepers and Nuthatch. And at last... Bullfinch. It hits the Outback List as an "official" Outback Life Tick, but that is only because I didn't see one during my 2003 walks after beginning working my patch in May. Partnyorsha had already seen (at leats) one earlier that year... but "too early"!

Anyway, 25 species today, takes the Outback Year List to 32, and the my general 2004 List to 53

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
Bold italic text = Outback life tick

Blackbird : 8
Black-headed Gull : 17
Carrion Crow : 7
Magpie : 3
Skylark : 1
Grey Heron : 1
Moorhen : 7
Long-tailed Tit : 32
Woodpigeon : 10
Mistle Thrush : 2
Blue Tit : 6
Coal Tit : 1
Robin : 3
Green Woodpecker : 1
Kestrel : 2
Treecreeper : 2
Nuthatch : 2
Greater Spotted Woodpecker : 1
Pheasant : 2
Goldcrest : 1
Great Tit : 4
Bullfinch : 1
Greenfinch : 1
Fieldfare : 2
Chaffinch : 1
Mallard : 1

Last edited:
Good stuff there Birdman, so you've now got 3 species of woodpecker .... am I right in thinking there are only 3 in the UK ?

There's only 3 in the book if you ignore Wryneck, which is sometimes included with Green, and the two Spotties.

I've heard whisperings that other's have been seen... but not by me. Would love to get Black in UK... but pleased to report I got a Black fix in '98 in Slovenia.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back