• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What a week for owls! (1 Viewer)

Enji

Despite the fact that the exam period is coming up (biology exam in a few hours, yay!) I'm a bit amazed at myself for having managed SIX species of owls in seven days...

Started out on Sunday, driving by the resident Long-eared Owls that seem to have taken up residence in a neighbourhood in Uppsala. Really weird to see up to eight owls in the apple trees in the gardens there. I've read about LEO's gathering like this further south, but it's never been recorded up here before as far as I know. Must be the harsh winter. Unfortunately, during the last few days four LEOs have been found dead across the city...

Also drove by the Hawk Owl, which was sitting in the top of a fir tree as usual.

Then on Wednesday I finally decided to go for the Eagle Owl that can be found not far outside town. (Since there's a breeding pair the location is secret... except pretty much every birder in the area knows about it. ;)) Barely got out of the car before I heard the owl... and it kept on calling until we left. A lifer for me, yay! Didn't see it since it was a bit dark when I got there, maybe next time.

On Saturday it was time to hit the road by the lake Gisslaren, a known spot for several species of owl. Only heard one during the night, but when that one is a Ural Owl really close by... well, the night can't be better. A clear, starry night, not a gust of wind nor any noise except for the haunting hooting of this big owl... wonderful.

About midday on Sunday I got slightly annoyed with not having had Tawny Owl so far this year, I decided to go out again. (Didn't have anything to do with escaping from studying, nooo...)
This time another forest, next to another lake. Got out of the car, not a sound. Whistled for a Pygmy Owl, and sure enough, got an answer! Then got a few hundred meters further on only to discover other birders... luckily the answer had not come from them but actually from a real Pygmy Owl, who also had the courtesy of coming flying to inspect us. Cute little thing.

Well, that was all nice and dandy, but what I wanted was a Tawny Owl... waited until it got dark, and yes! Far away a Tawny Owl started calling.

I actually didn't even reflect on the fact that I'd managed six species of owls in the span of a week until I got home and started thinking about it... :)

For anyone who haven't experienced the magic of standing in the middle of the night in some boreal forest, trying to be absolutely quiet, straining your ears and then hearing an owl calling... well, if you get a chance, try it. It's one of my favourite ways of birding. You might not get to see the owls, but for me hearing them is better than looking at some sleeping owl by day.

Attached are a few photos of the LEOs. Sleeping, of course, not all that exciting, but pretty owls nonetheless.

Attachments

• hornuggla5.jpg
    hornuggla5.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 62
  • hornuggla3.jpg
    hornuggla3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 48
  • hornuggla6.jpg
    hornuggla6.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 61
  • hornugglor.jpg
    hornugglor.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Those LEO's are absolutely beautiful, really incredible looking birds, very majestic. Definitely sounds like an amazing owl week, the calling of owls really is something to behold. I remember the first owl I heard in america. I forget which one it was, but it had the absolute classic, children's story book owl call. Absolutely incredible, I'd never heard anything like it before in my life.

As a big owl fan I am very envious and recommend you go out and see some more.

As a Biology teacher I insist that you pack up your bins immediately and get back to your revision.

Tom

Six in a week is good, but I suspect you have more to choose from than we do - I once did five in an afternoon in Southern England (Long-eared, Short-eared, Tawny, Little and Barn Owl) and all of them were visual - but its not at all a regular achievement for me!

John

I have no idea why one of the LEOs is so pale... and neither has anyone I've spoken to. Some kind of plumage abberation perhaps? Or just some variation? It was very grey, with not much brown on it (if any). I know that male LEOs are paler than females, but usually not to that extent.

Yes, I guess we have quite a few owls here... Tengmalm's Owl are usually pretty common as well but the last two winter's they've been very scarce, probably due to few voles and the harsh winter we're having. A dream would be to hear a Great Grey Owl, but they're VERY rare this far south.
I would love to see a Barn Owl, they seem absolutely stunning. I'm very jealous of everyone in Britain who have a chance to see them (and hear them)! The very very few individuals/pairs in Sweden are such a well-kept secret that I have no chance of finding any.

In any case, I really love owls. There's something almost mythical about them, those big eyes and haunting calls.

Last edited:
Nice collection you got there Enji :) I also had a very exciting week of owls. First a similar tree full of LEO, just like you saw but in Halland in Western Sweden. Funny how they like to bunch up close to oneother. Those owls has done so for years in the same garden. And after that I had a spectacular encounter with Pygmy Owls, gosh, I will remember that for the rest of my life. Check my blog for more info.

I envy your Ural owl! I want to hear it too.. I need to visit your surroundings soon :)

Amazing looking birds that you have shown us. I've seen lots of beautiful owls but these, these owls are beautiful looking in a majestic way. If you have anymore photos of these owls, please post more. Also, sorry for my bad grammer. I am German and can't speak English well.

Fascinating that you saw so many! since I moved to a new location I rarely ever see an owl. Hear plenty but never see. Great work on finding so many beautiful owls.

I have not seen nearly enough owls. I don't think I have six at all let alone seeing them in one week. Well done and the pictures are great.
Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back