• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

....A return to that bloody Barranca! (2 Viewers)

Ken, with the Cayenne Tern in Wexford, I was reminded about the interesting tern that was in the photo you posted of an Audouin's Gull with Sandwich Terns in Fuerteventura at the end of last year, post 17 of this thread. I remember there was a pale billed tern in the photo and its making me wonder if it may be Cayenne? Are there records of Cayenne in the Canaries?

Interesting how the Bittern changed seemingly adapted to elude birders. When we were there in February 2018, it was rather easy to see, running between cover once in a while. On the other hand, back then we have spent an inordinate time looking for a YBW around some church (not sure if the same one), only then to randomly find one at Caleta de Fuste.

Ken, with the Cayenne Tern in Wexford, I was reminded about the interesting tern that was in the photo you posted of an Audouin's Gull with Sandwich Terns in Fuerteventura at the end of last year, post 17 of this thread. I remember there was a pale billed tern in the photo and its making me wonder if it may be Cayenne? Are there records of Cayenne in the Canaries?

I can’t see a yellow- billed Tern in the photo!
I'm assuming it's the one directly below the 2nd gull from the right - does superficially look yellowish, but it's just sunlight glinting off a black bill that's fortuitously at the right angle to catch the sun :t:

Can't answer the question regarding occurrence of Cayenne Tern in the Canary Islands, but that individual pale billed Sandwich Tern was seen several times during my trip. I've only just heard about the Irish bird and have been supremely oblivious to the existence of such a species.

Annoyingly I've since deleted a better image of that said individual regarding it as just an aberrant bird, which raises the question on probability of an all pale billed Sandwich Tern occurring versus a Cayenne Tern being present?
As previously stated in the article, there had been a circa five fold increase of Sandwich Terns to the bay over the previous eight Xmas visits.

Cheers

I can’t see a yellow- billed Tern in the photo!

Can recall seeing it several times during my daily visits to the bay Richard and can say that it's bill was an almost subdued cream colour, I did think it looked odd, but as previously stated put it down as an aberrant individual? :eek!:

Not definite that it is a Cayenne Tern in Ireland either - could be a pale billed Sandwich or a hybrid Sandwich x Elegant, or something else. It looks tiny for any Sandwich-size tern in some photos, and the bill is hardly striking yellow.

Interesting how the Bittern changed seemingly adapted to elude birders. When we were there in February 2018, it was rather easy to see, running between cover once in a while. On the other hand, back then we have spent an inordinate time looking for a YBW around some church (not sure if the same one), only then to randomly find one at Caleta de Fuste.

The church was at Pajara. Whereabouts at Caleta de Fuste did you find the YBW opisska?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back