• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID on Ohio vocalization (1 Viewer)

swamp_rattler

The other day I heard for the first time this year a noise that I often hear during the summer in wooded habitats here in northeastern Ohio. I'd describe it as a "nuk nuk nuk nuk" sound...fairly evenly spaced and monotone. I can mimic the sound by hitting the roof of my mouth with my tongue. I used to believe it may be a cuckoo species...but since I heard it a few days back (early-mid April) it must not be, as that is too early. Any thoughts? It may not even be a bird, but possibly a squirrel species, insect, etc. Thanks for any help!

I heard the same thing last weekend in St. Louis County, Missouri. It sounded like a knock on wood. It kind of reminded me of a yellow-billed cuckoo but the call was evenly spaced and never sped up or slowed down and was more wooden. Maybe it was some sort of frog?

streatham said:
From the description it could be a Chipmunk.

I found some chipmunk recording but none sound like what I heard. They were much more hollow, louder, and had a longer space in between calls.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back