• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

If you are going to spend more time there then don't ignore Hickling Broad plus the Stubbs Mill Roost (Cranes & Marsh Harriers etc) and Rush Hill Scrape (along the Weavers way on Hickling Broad).

Also the areas around Sea Palling (Tim Allwoods territory), Waxham and Winterton can be very productive and don't forget Martham Broad as well.

John

Thanks John. I will try to get there sometime soon and see if I can find them.

I think I will have to spend a bit more time in that general area this year – Caister, Winterton and Yarmouth North Denes. It's too easy to overlook the closer places. We went for a walk on North Denes last year and saw more Skylarks than I have seen for years.

Ron

Had 'one of those days' today. Started late having just thrown off some 'orrible flu-type thing, heading to Edgefield to see if the Iceland might be around still. No luck, but did have what I reckon was a good shout for a 1stW Caspian Gull. Long way off, but it stood out as having a very white, unstreaked, long head and long legs. Too far away to get anything better on it than that, so its not going on the life list (yet...), but might be worth a look for anyone more experienced.

Then went onto Salthouse, stopping at Walsey Hills for the Firecrest. However, try as I might, it just wouldn't give itself up for me! Had a Goldcrest that was doing my head in, appearing 4 times in half an hour. Decided I should leave before I squashed the little ****! Little else of note, bar a Stonechat on the fields, and I did meet who I believe to be Connor Rand. Very nice to meet you if it was.

Onto Salthouse beach, where the Snowbuntings showed beatifully, as ever, with a couple of nice males in there. However, the Laplands failed to materialise for me. Couldn't pick them out on the ground or in the air. Never mind though, as a male Hen Harrier made up for it nicely, flying over the road on the way home.

Jason

I'd go with your shout - I had a 1st winter Caspian Gull at Edgefield later on that day (about 15:30pm)!

I can't say that I have seen a first winter myself but here are a couple of photos of a second winter I took a couple of weeks ago (in the West Midlands I may add) that might help.

John

No luck, but did have what I reckon was a good shout for a 1stW Caspian Gull. Long way off, but it stood out as having a very white, unstreaked, long head and long legs. Too far away to get anything better on it than that, so its not going on the life list (yet...), but might be worth a look for anyone more experienced.

Jason

Attachments

• Caspian Gull 0263.jpg
    Caspian Gull 0263.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 109
  • Caspian Gull  (2nd W) 2928.jpg
    Caspian Gull (2nd W) 2928.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 95
Please beware
it is only a few of the trains passing that actually stop at Lakenheath station though I think there is one that arrives mid morning but not sure whether that has come from Brandon or Ely

and also since this is a Norfolk thread the RSPB reserve is in Suffolk -- anything you see needs to be half way across the river before it is in Norfolk.

Hi Guys

I've finally got round to putting together my birding website: http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e039/ilyabirding.htm

It's a bit basic at the mo, but hoping to turn it into a useful Norfolk birding resource. In addition to my latest sightings I hope to include tips on where to go birding, what to look out for and gen on some of the rare/scarce stuff that doesn't make it onto the pagers. Any thoughts, request to link to your page, sightings or anything else, welcome.

Edit: The photos are more of a wish list at the mo, but will become more relevant when I get my telephoto lens shortly

Hi Guys

I've finally got round to putting together my birding website: http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e039/ilyabirding.htm

It's a bit basic at the mo, but hoping to turn it into a useful Norfolk birding resource. In addition to my latest sightings I hope to include tips on where to go birding, what to look out for and gen on some of the rare/scarce stuff that doesn't make it onto the pagers. Any thoughts, request to link to your page, sightings or anything else, welcome.

Edit: The photos are more of a wish list at the mo, but will become more relevant when I get my telephoto lens shortly

Watcha mate

good to see birding is 'devolving' back to the individual birders with these sites springing up...

great stuff - particularly the 4x4 bit and the proscribed remedy!

thanks for the link, I'll reciprocate on mine - but the east Norfolk mafia will be after you if they see that suppressing bastards bit... and you know how serious they are... :eek!:

Always nice to hear mate! Thanks, and well done on what looks like will be a very good website. I certainly find the "what to look for" section very interesting. No doubt the site will be popular.

Jason

I'd go with your shout - I had a 1st winter Caspian Gull at Edgefield later on that day (about 15:30pm)!

Thanks for that John. Certainly a very leggy bird there. The bill on mine appeared much longer (is yours unusually short?), but otherwize was a good match to yours, structurally.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

I can't say that I have seen a first winter myself but here are a couple of photos of a second winter I took a couple of weeks ago (in the West Midlands I may add) that might help.

John

yeah it requires a bit of timing, think the train gets in about 11ish can then spend the day at lakenheath (sorry know its suffolk), i think theres a very limited service back from lakenheath but can then cycle to weeting heath area then back to Brandon (about 4-5 mile cycle), just need the timetable booklet and a map.

in regard to train services to the coast i've never yet had trouble getting my bike on although if theres a few people with bikes wanting to get on make sure you're in front of the queue.

If you going to Cromer/Sheringham theres a ticket you can get called the bittern rover (theres also a similar one that goes to cantley/buckenham/yarmouth/lowestoft area called The Wherry Rover).

What a Bittern rover ticket (which costs about £6-£7) allows you to do is get a train ticket and go on the coast hopper bus. Unfortunately , you can only get these tickets after 8.30am so no good if your getting the 5.20am train. HOWEVER, what i have found is that most of the bus drivers on the coast hopper are incredibly sound and even if you have not bought a Bittern Rover they will allow you on free with a normal ticket (i've found its because they are just very nice people!) - so be courteous and be prepared to pay for a bus ticket if they request it (but also do a bit of haggling or plead ignorance - its paid off for me!),

www.thetrainline.com

kittykat23uk

love your pics and artwork

keith

Thanks! I have almost finished another pastel painting- this one of the White crowned sparrow. Will hopefully post it in the next couple of days.:t:

ETA: Ilya, are you based in Norwich (judging by your URL)? If so if you ever fancy some company on your birding trips please let me know. Does anyone know if the hawfinches are still present at UEA? I might try and get up there at the weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks! I have almost finished another pastel painting- this one of the White crowned sparrow. Will hopefully post it in the next couple of days.:t:

ETA: Ilya, are you based in Norwich (judging by your URL)? If so if you ever fancy some company on your birding trips please let me know. Does anyone know if the hawfinches are still present at UEA? I might try and get up there at the weekend.

Hawfinches (a pair) were at UEA Monday. Scrappy looking female and neat male. Still with the brambling. Also small flock of redpoll using the feeders.

good luck

Thanks all for the comments on the website - will it this evening with links and tone down language about those supressing b*******s from East Norfolk (NB I should point out that I'm all in favour for a bit of supressing as it might mean people start using their brains and bins to bird instead of their pagers!).

Kittikat - yes I am based in Norwich. Always good to have a bit of company, so drop me a pm if you fancy going out birding anytime. I go out most weekends if the weather's OK. Dipped on the Hawfinches on Sunday although didn't have my bins on me (only heard about them through a chance encounter with a fellow birder when I was at UEA for other stuff). I used to patch UEA campus, and still keep a list for there and need Hawfinch for there. Were they around the rabbit compound or where and are the feeders still just up from there near Colney Lane?

Finally!!! After many-a days scouring of Sculthorpe Moor for Willow Tit, I finally found one! Glowing, all-white cheek and calling regularly, giving a pretty distinctive "si si chaar chaar" sound. All this backed up by the pale pannel on both wings and generally stocky build. Well pleased, as its the first definite Willow I've seen in 10 years. Did have a couple of false alarms, with Great Tits frequently producing an annoyingly similar "ti ti zuur zuur" in one area. Also saw 3 Water Rails under the bird table, 2 Bramblings, 1 Barn Owl, around 6 Marsh Tits and c30 Siskins in Alders.

Now for that non existant Lesser Spot!

Jason

Jimbob, know you were asking about Black Brants a little while ago, good photos of one of the Wells ones on Birdguides by Russell Hayes.

Cheers,

Connor

Cheers Connor Ill have a look.
Enjoying these individual websites cropping up, good effort folks. Need to pull my finger out and do the same......
Jim.

whats the deal with these shorelarks at Holkham? About 20 were reported not so long ago, no news since. Just wondered if anyone has seen or heard of them lately?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back