• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer birding in UAE (1 Viewer)

Mark:-)

I am hoping to get a short-term posting to Dubai during July & early August and hoping to get a bit of birding in on my odd days off. Can anyone suggest some good birding areas during these months or is everything pretty much roasted at this time of year?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

I'm going out this Sunday for a couple of weeks. Haven't had much time to think about what birds will still be there but it occured to me today that there may be returning migrants already? If the UK is getting returning waders then I guess It'll be the same there?

Take a look at this website http://www.uaebirding.com/index.html

Its very informative and the linked forum is also great.

There are a few people from the middle east on this forum so they may offer further help.

Gareth

p.s. I don't know if you have a guide for the middle east but i would recommend the Helm Birds of the middle east. Your European guide will cover most (Collins for example) but I found in spring having the local guide really does help.

Last edited:
Cheers Gareth,

I'd already come across the UAEBirding website (loads of great info on there), but had not looked at the forum until now - looks to be some goodies around even now. Crab Plover .... oh, boy! (Bet they're a bit disappointing in reality, but a bird I've always wanted to see). I think you could be right about the return migration, I'd been having similar thoughts myself. Anyway, the chance to explore a new country and see something different is exciting enough, eh?

Have a great trip next week.

All the best,

Mark

ps. Happy birthday!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back