• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dubai again (1 Viewer)

neilyb

Wanted to bring the Dubai thread back to life, but cant.

We are thinking of doing a stopover on our way to Mauritius, couple of days in November....is this anygood for birding in the Dubai area? What about transport to the wildlife refuges I have seen on the net, are they reachable without a car?

Any help I am very grateful for. :)

Depends on where you're staying, but there are several good sites fairly close to the airport / central Dubai but none are reachable without a car. However, driving in Dubai can be a bit hairy to say the least, if you're thinking of hiring a car. Taxis are pretty cheap and are everywhere - dead easy to pick them up on the street.

Check out this site for info on sites: http://www.uaebirding.com/birdingsites.html

Ras Al Khor, Pivot fields, Safa Park are all good sites easy to get to in Dubai. There are other good sites further afield, but these would require a car rather than a taxi (and be much cheaper).

There's plenty of common stuff easy to get, that doesn't occur in the UK/W Europe:

White-cheeked and Red-vented bulbuls
Grey francolin
Graceful prinia
Purple sunbird
Little green bee-eater
Red-wattled Lapwing
House crow
Common myna

You'll find these anywhere and everywhere, but if I had only 1 day in Dubai in November, I'd go to the Pivot Fields - you'll find the above species, plus White-tailed lapwing and other good waders, pipits, wagtails, possible Pallid harrier - anything!

November is a great month for birding Dubai, especially if you haven't been to Arabia.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back