• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Godwit, Lancs UK (1 Viewer)

djw0208

Hi, Looking for confirmation that this is a Bar-tailed Godwit and not Black-tailed. I thought I could see the bar tail and it definitely has curlew like plumage, but I'm not sure if I can see upturn on the bill and whether the legs are short enough. Many Thanks

Attachments

• DSC03351.jpg
    DSC03351.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 67
It’s a Bar-tailed for the reasons you say - also note the grey and white tones of the plumage, the bill is indeed slightly upturned. Legs always appear longer when they are reflected in water.

Hello, speaking as no great expert but having reviewed 00s of birds in my Godwit photos lately trying to pick Bars from Blacks, I would go with Bar-tailed.

The bird does appear oddly leggy but I think the water concealing the feet is giving the impression of longer legs when in fact it's very shallow. There is a little bit of movement blur on the bill which could be masking the curve too. I think that Black-tailed would have a bit more orange around the neck to display that scalloped wing pattern.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back