• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hand sanitizers and optics (1 Viewer)

jtc

Does anyone have any thoughts on how all the different sanitizers we are using effect the armor and coatings of our bins and scopes. I know that insect repellents with deet can harm optics but not sure about all the stuff we are using now.

It’s isopropyl alcohol, the stuff lens cleaning wipes are made of, or sometimes ethanol, so most likely harmless, though the added moisturizers like aloe Vera would probably cause smearing.

Last edited:
Besides the possible effects of hand sanitisers and insect repellents, another group of substances a user may need to consider is sunscreens

An introductory article on Wikipedia lists around 30 different chemical possibilities at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen

And of course there may be the complication of the interaction of the three different types of substances

John

Just let your hands air dry before you use your optics? Just a thought. Takes thirty seconds or so.

Problem solved with the simplest solution.

Swarovski confirmed their rubber armouring wasn't affected by hand sanitiser, so long as the alcohol percentage is under 80% (if I recall correctly). On a recent 'demo day' here, they cleaned the binoculars after each use with 70% alcohol spray.

Hand sanitizers combine the alcohol with a stabilizer that prevents it from evaporating too fast, and often with citric acid that helps it work more quickly; they also contain
skin moisturizers in them to keep the skin from becoming too dry (hence the “sticky” feeling after using most of them). To be on the safe side I refrain from using hand sanitizers when I handle binos.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back