• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

very dark hawk, Northern California (1 Viewer)

djleahy

These aren't very good shots, but I'm a bit intrigued by a hawk I saw this morning at Coyote Hills, Fremont, California (east side of San Francisco Bay). This dark brown guy swept in and aggressively rousted the Northern Harrier (third pic, provided for scale) off of a rock by the water.

I suppose it's a very dark Red-tailed Hawk, but I would have sworn that the wings were all dark below when this guy flew off a moment later. For a moment I thought it might be a Golden Eagle, but I think it's too small, and the wings weren't plank-like like an eagle's. I think I just didn't get a good look at it as it flew off, and it's a Red-tailed. Any other possibilities?

Attachments

• IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3227.JPG
    IMG_3227.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back