• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark morph Red-tailed Hawk ? (1 Viewer)

Fulmar

Would you agree that this is an immature dark morph Red-tailed Hawk ?

The photo was made February 7 along the Upper Newport Bay (aka Back Bay) in Newport Beach, Orange County, California. The bird is swooping down on a mouse from its perch. There is some orangy hue in the picture as it was made at 1700h (and at 1800h it was dark).

Peter

Attachments

• Img0228.JPG
    Img0228.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 322
Fulmar said:

The photo was made February 7 along the Upper Newport Bay (aka Back Bay) in Newport Beach, Orange County, California. The bird is swooping down on a mouse from its perch. There is some orangy hue in the picture as it was made at 1700h (and at 1800h it was dark).

Peter

Sure looks like it to me, with that dark patagial mark.

Too tough for me,Peter..the tail banding particularly.
I'm good at Red Shouldered's,but don't see that many Red-Tails in Florida.Great pic though!

Grousemore said:
Too tough for me,Peter..the tail banding particularly.
I'm good at Red Shouldered's,but don't see that many Red-Tails in Florida.Great pic though!

Y'know, that tail banding threw me at first, too, but since what I think we're seeing here is the underside of the tail, and if this is a more mature juvenile, the lack of banding would be right as the "red" part of the tail isn't as obvious from the underside as it is from the top (and it isn't banded in full adults). But the dark patagial on the leading edge of the wing is almost exclusively diagnostic of red-tails (except for a very few exceptions).

However, raptor expert I'm not, so I hope someone else jumps in here with more experience of juvies. This, BTW, is about the hardest sp of raptor to ID (IMH experience) because of all the numerous morphs and "types."

And, yes, great action shot!

Fulmar said:

Yep, I don't see dark morphs too often myself, but I'd say this looks good for an imm dark morph RT.

Katy Penland said:
However, raptor expert I'm not, so I hope someone else jumps in here with more experience of juvies. This, BTW, is about the hardest sp of raptor to ID (IMH experience) because of all the numerous morphs and "types."

And, yes, great action shot!

I agree Katy.I've been looking at a website (Buteo.com)and am none the wiser on Peter's bird.
Here's the link: http://www.buteo.com/redtail.html#

Grousemore said:
I agree Katy.I've been looking at a website (Buteo.com)and am none the wiser on Peter's bird.
Here's the link: http://www.buteo.com/redtail.html#

Nice site that is! I'm gonna go spend some time there, check it out. Thank you!

Even my "North American Raptors" book didn't have a shot of a red-tail that was similar to Peter's, and it's the "bible" we US birders use for raptor ID. Goes to show how variable this sp can be. In fact, a state birds committee one time had a bird ID quiz that turned out to be a juvie red-tail, but you can't believe the dozens of different guesses they got for input!

(I'm still jazzed about the red kite I saw when in Aberystwyth last June. Didn't see many raptors on my trip but *that* was very special.)

I came to my provisional identification mainly by elimination. In the end the only one remaining was the Red-tailed Hawk. Especially when looking at the wing only, I think the only choice could be Red-tailed, as the pattern was right, and especially the diagnostic dark patagial (new word for me!) marks. But then the tail markings puzzled me, as I could find no documentation of a Red-tailed with such a plain tail. Only the Sibley's has a dark juvenile with light banding on the tail and no broad endband, but still heavier than on "my" bird. However, under close scrutiny, very faint banding can be seen, I have attached a lightened close-up of the tail where you can see this (Katy, the tail is indeed the underside).

Peter

Attachments

• Img0228-2.JPG
    Img0228-2.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 247
Wow! What an old thread I am responding to! I wanted to add that the bland greyish tail and dark overll morph look like a Harlan's red-tailed hawk.

Yes, it is an old thread but to answer your question it is not likely a "Harlans" in this location in Orange County, CA. Wheeler's range maps do not show them this far south of California's Central Valley in the winter. And they are not common in California overall.

The "Western" Red-tailed Hawk B. j. calurus is very common throughout California year round and there are varieties of "Dark Morph" variants of it. (Such as dark intermediate or dark rufous; intermediate or rufous.) There are many pictures of them in Wheelers RAPTORS of Western North America if you can find a copy of it. It has 82 photographs of 6 different sub-species of Red-tailed Hawks in it. It has quite a number of photographs of both "Harlans" and "Western" RTHs. More than 30 total.

Bob

PS: I notice this is your 1st post and so "Welcome to Bird Forum!":t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back