• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

small pigeon size bird of prey (1 Viewer)

Whitefang17

I was walking the dogs when i noticed it on the ground a few feet from the sidewalk at the edge of our woods. Not even moving to breathe. About the size of a pigeon. At first i thought it was a headless something. There was clearly a tail and a body. I nudged it with a stick and it barely but surely responded. Nudged it again and it flew low to the ground and huddled again on the ground about 25' away, again near the sidewalk. I walked to it and looked to see a small beak, beautiful shades of brown, high contrast with tips of white on the tail. The white is not all the way across the tail end, only like a fingernail of white on each side. Looked plump and healthy. The third approach with the camera and he flew into the woods. I was glad about that for him to move away from the sidewalk. Can anyone identify from this description? We have a Live Oak hammock and wetlands on the property. Many vocal owls and many Redtail Hawks. East coast central Florida.

Most likely for that size is sharp-shinned hawk, probably an immature based on the brown, but could be a merlin I suppose. I wonder if it had been hit by a car and needed some time to recover.

Scott

Hi. Just a thought, if the "shades of brown" were like a dead-leaf pattern, it could have been a nightjar or nighthawk (rather than a raptor). And the patches of white, and the behaviour (kind of playing dead, then flying low a short distance) also would fit. But I'm not familiar with your species, only the European Nightjar.

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Hope whatever it was winds up okay.

I'd agree on a nightjar species. I think Whip-poor-will, or Chuck-will's-widow, are the best fits to description, location etc.?

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back