• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Nouakchott, Mauritania (1 Viewer)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
Dear all,

Just another willow warbler?

I am trying hard to find iberian chiffchaff with no success

All help gratefully received.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0108 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0108 (Large).jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0111 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0111 (Large).jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
some feedback off forum has been positive about underpart colours and wing length but especially bill colour. The latter is a feature I hadn't considered.

R

I see a Willow allright. Breast tinged olive, long well-defined brows, very long looking pp projection, elongated shape, it all looks very Willow to me.

Willow for me too - in views like this I think an Iberian Chiffchaff would stand out for you.

Maybe they haven't reached you yet? Maybe they have a bit of a stopover in evergreen oak woodland in Morocco? Still birds here too.

I know Ib Chiffs have been rung south of Mauritania - what are the earliest trapping dates...anyone?

According to birdlife, there are over 1 million iberian chiffchaff and unless they take a very indirect route they must pass through Mauritania to get to their wintering grounds which are in Senegal or western Mali. By odds I should see at least as many Iberian chiffchaff as willow warbler where I am. Only two things can be happening. Either the birds fly over Mauritania every year (unlikely) or Iberian chiffchaff are being over looked as willow warbler. Its a zero sum game! Here is another picture of the same bird.

Attachments

• IMG_0106 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0106 (Large).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 41
Only two things can be happening. Either the birds fly over Mauritania every year (unlikely) or Iberian chiffchaff are being over looked as willow warbler. Its a zero sum game! Here is another picture of the same bird.

Its for sure a Willow. I can't answer your question but agree they are likely overlooked a bit, could be flying over due to lack of denser habitats (?) ...and/or they haven't reached in numbers yet? It would be good to know the first capture dates - if there are any in the autumn?

I think it is too early for Iberian Chiffchaffs in Mauritania, but they are soon coming. Your bird has definitely too long pp to be one.

Thanks all

I will be at the same site next Saturday. It's a waste water site just north of the city and a wonderful migrant trap. I rarely use sound but I have downloaded the call. Let's see if anything responds.

This species simply must pass through in large numbers.

Thanks all

I will be at the same site next Saturday. It's a waste water site just north of the city and a wonderful migrant trap. I rarely use sound but I have downloaded the call. Let's see if anything responds.

This species simply must pass through in large numbers.

I would expect the peak of Iberian Chiffchaffs in October, much later than the WW.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back