• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very Light Morph Red-tailed Hawk (1 Viewer)

mymantra

I've been trying to get a good picture of this particular bird (I actually have some in-flight shots in my gallery). Today the opportunity presented itself, unfortunately I only got off two shots before it flew. The settings were not quite right on my camera, resulting in some blown highlights, which I fixed as best I could. Oh, well, there's always tomorrow :)

Attachments

• dscn6515 copy.jpg
    dscn6515 copy.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 287
Beautiful bird!

I've only seen two very pale red-tails in my life, both in 2002. And the expert birder who was with me (when I saw the first one; I was alone for the second) referred to them as Krider's Red-Tails.

Paul,
Having the good fortune to witness Red-tailed Hawks all over the nation and about half a dozen Krider, I think perhaps this may be a Krider x Eastern. All the Kriders I have seen had super pale tails, nearly white or very light colored heads and no belly band to speak of. There may of been a very few spots on the sides, but nothing more. Regardless, this is a very nice photo and one you can be poud of!

Thanks for pointing that out, Candice. I thought that the head seemed a touch dark, but since both my views of Krider's have been brief, I hesitated. But Krider's is what I thought of. They are just breathtaking to see!

You may very well be right Candice, as there are certainly quite a few of the Eastern variety around. There are also a few other strange morphs in the area. This one, for example, has a very white face:
http://www.pbase.com/image/8263792.jpg

While the one I have attached doesn't, but has a very pale tale.
I really appreciate the opinions of all the people with more birding experience than I. Which includes just about anyone!3:)

Attachments

• dscn6676 copy.jpg
    dscn6676 copy.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 230
Love pictures Paul, I like the second one best; nice pose and you can see its feathers better. Well done

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back