• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (31 Viewers)

Re: #12479

I don't do modelling, Stuart. (I thought you'd seen me recently !)

Anyway, Francis Bacon died getting on for ten years ago.

Up to 3 juvenile Stonechats continue at Gramboro', hidden amongst 50 or so Linnets.

Titchwell July 29th

Today’s highlights

Grasshopper warbler – 1 singing on grazing meadow
Greenshank – 3 on fresh marsh
Ruff – 32 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 5 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 2 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 3 on fresh marsh
Bittern – 1 on grazing meadow pool
Spoonbill – 1 east @ 11:10

Paul

Cley last night - Thursday

Cley Coastguards - 6pm

4 Gannets flew east, little terns, common terns, 16 Whimbrel flew west and swallows around the carpark.

On the footbridge to NWT Hides, I had fantastic views of two Water Voles. Just before Dauke's Hide were a family of sedge warblers, 2 greenfinches, goldfinches and a few reed warblers. I could also hear some bearded tits. From the hide: 1 Spotted Redshank 5 Green Sandpipers, 1 juv. Med. Gull, Black tailed Godwits, 4 Spoonbills, possibly another 4 Green Sandpipers, 3 Marsh Harriers, 9 Snipe, 2 Herons and tons of gulls! Avocets, shelducks, redshanks, several Common Terns. Cormorants flew across the hide in setting sun.

See blog for full update.

Penny:girl:

Passenger Pigeon in north Norfolk ?

This sight confronted me this morning, as I looked out of my kitchen window. And I thought they'd been wiped out.

This young bird continues the woody theme.

Attachments

• 008sm.jpg
    008sm.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 216
Wow!
Where on Earth did you get a stuffed PP????
Must be worth a fortune!
Here's a couple of non-bird pix from Strumpshaw on Friday...

Attachments

• Yellow fungus.jpg
    Yellow fungus.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Ladybird.jpg
    Ladybird.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Gatekeeper, Strump.jpg
    Gatekeeper, Strump.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 65
I can assure everyone that the bird was live when snapped. No Taxi-dermy involved.

Attempting not to use Hackneyed phrases, it is a private car.

I believe you've bagged yourself a Harlequin there. Shame it's a Ladybird, rather than a Duck ! Charmingly, they're 'ladybugs' across the Pond.

Last edited:
Holme, Titchwell and Cley!

Southern Hawker at Holme, large hoverfly species at Wareham Greens were the highlights of the day (thanks John).

Daukes Hide this evening - juv little gull, first sum. little gull, 3 greenshank, 3 green sandpipers, arctic tern, arctic skua, hobby so far!!!!!

Wow - OTTER right in front of Daukes at 9.10pm!!!!!!!

Full update later......

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Last edited:
Marsh tit (they've bred there, apparently, so aren't a rarity there) and spotted flycatcher at Weeting Heath's woodland hide this morning.

I'd like to say I saw a stone curlew but the object which looked most like one through the 10X binoculars had vanished by the time I'd got my scope in place leaving me examining a handful of rabbits in close detail - looks like it'll be a Salisbury Plain visit which will eventually reveal a stone curlew or two...

I've just added honey buzzard to my "seen from garden" list excitingly. individual high then very high heading south just outside of Costessey. Not a common buzzard, I have seen many honeys across several countries and I am sure that this was one.

Marsh tit (they've bred there, apparently, so aren't a rarity there) and spotted flycatcher at Weeting Heath's woodland hide this morning.

I'd like to say I saw a stone curlew but the object which looked most like one through the 10X binoculars had vanished by the time I'd got my scope in place leaving me examining a handful of rabbits in close detail - looks like it'll be a Salisbury Plain visit which will eventually reveal a stone curlew or two...

You can often see the Marsh tits visiting the feeders from the woodland hide, they also visit the feeders at Strumpshaw on a regular basis. Seeing a Willow tit in Norfolk, however, is an entirely different Kettle of fish! You have to fill in a complete description should any records be submitted to the County recorder....

I took a Tern down the East Bank

These are distant shots (taken from the shingle bank) of the Black Tern that has been hanging around Arnold’s Marsh and offshore for the last few days. Penny says she has some gripping snaps, which she took from almost halfway across the North Sea !

2 Painted Ladies were at Walsey Hills NOA this afternoon.

Attachments

• 010sm.jpg
    010sm.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 013sm.jpg
    013sm.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 119
Stunning views of a juv. Black Tern off shore from end of the East Bank today - got loads of nice flight shots!

Full update later......

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Titchwell August 1st

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 2 on fresh marsh, 2 east @ 07:45
Spotted redshank – 14 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 4 on brackish marsh
Ruff – 70 on fresh marsh
Med gull – juv on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 3 on fresh marsh
Yellow wagtail – 7 juvs on fresh marsh

Paul

Barn Owls

Hello to everyone I am a new member and I hope to be an active member in the months and years to come. I have a general interest in wildlife and conservation and a specific interest in photography (novice digiscoper) and birds of prey. I am spending a week in north Norfolk at the begining of September and wonder if anyone can suggest any areas where I stand a reasonable chance of daytime views of Barn Owl. I understand that many ringers are reporting second broods this year so I am hoping that daytime hunting, weather permitting, will still be necessary in order for the adults to satisfy the appetite of the growing chicks. Sadly, I will not be able to devote the whole week to my quest as I have a wife and two dogs that will require my attention from time to time but any suggestions that might incorporate a dog walk (well trained and very well behaved dogs) would be ideal and very much appreciated.

Thought I should add some details from this morning, in case anyone was thinking of trying for the White-rumped Sandpiper at Snettisham tomorrow. I first saw it very briefly Sunday morning, flying out from the pits and accross The Wash, half an hour after high tide, and managed to relocate it this morning at 06:00 (just over 2 hours before high tide) feeding on the mud by the wooden jetty. It left the mud at around 07:00, and moved to the islands in front of the far hide, where it remained till at least 09:00, almost an hour after high tide.

A few record shots on the blog at www.snettisham-birder.blogspot.com

David

Thought I should add some details from this morning, in case anyone was thinking of trying for the White-rumped Sandpiper at Snettisham tomorrow. I first saw it very briefly Sunday morning, flying out from the pits and accross The Wash, half an hour after high tide, and managed to relocate it this morning at 06:00 (just over 2 hours before high tide) feeding on the mud by the wooden jetty. It left the mud at around 07:00, and moved to the islands in front of the far hide, where it remained till at least 09:00, almost an hour after high tide.

A few record shots on the blog at www.snettisham-birder.blogspot.com

David

Congratulations David on another great find!

Sadly dipped the bird this morning and the Curlew Sandpiper but did see 3 Spot Shanks, 2 Greenshank, 1 Green Sandpiper and a Wheatear...

Rob

Re: #12495- Barn Owls ?

I often see snappers (and Barn Owls!) along the short (few hundred metres) stretch of road which runs SW from Burnham Overy Mill (on the A149), between Burnham Deepdale and Burnham Overy Staithe.

Try along here, both sides, until the road takes a sharp turn to the NW, at a crossroads.

Owl be interested to learn how you get on.

I note you do NOT say that your wife is 'well trained and very well behaved'- unlike your dogs !

Good luck and have a bird-full week at what can be a thrilling time of year (falls) here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back