• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Tailed/Bar Tailed Godwit (1 Viewer)

DGRW

My apologies for what is probably a very old cherry but I've been battling for some time with what should obviously be a very simple problem to solve and every time that I think I've cracked it I find that I'm struggling again.

How to tell a Bar Tailed Godwit from a Black Tailed Godwit at distance?

Wing bar and definition of plumage are all very well and simple but I'm finding that at distance and especially on the ground; I'm still struggling to tell them apart if plumage on individual birds is not in good condition.

Any nice simple tips for a nice simple birder?

Last edited:
Any nice simple tips for a nice simple birder?

First of all location. If the birds are on a beach there is a good chance they are Bar-tailed. If they are inland, then probably Black-tailed. I'll now get bombarded with lots of examples of why this isn't correct, but I find that generally this holds true.

Obviously Bar-tailed have a barred tail and Black-tailed have a black and white tail. Also Black-tailed have a white wing bar in flight. You should have no problems in flight.

On the ground at a distance, the best way to tell them apart is structure. Bar-tailed are much shorter legged than Black-tailed. You may think that this would only be relavent when the two are together, but in fact it is very obvious even with a single bird. Black-tailed look in proportion, Bar-tailed look ridiculously dumpy and short legged, and almost seem to struggle to walk compared to Black-tailed.

Coigach -

On the ground at a distance, the best way to tell them apart is structure. Bar-tailed are much shorter legged than Black-tailed. You may think that this would only be relavent when the two are together, but in fact it is very obvious even with a single bird. Black-tailed look in proportion, Bar-tailed look ridiculously dumpy and short legged, and almost seem to struggle to walk compared to Black-tailed.

As you say; closer up and in flight isn't a problem, I could waffle on about location but I take your point.

"Structure" though; I think is probably the key as with many similar species that at first glance may look very alike but then, when you become more familiar with "structure" and "Jizz", the differences become more apparent.

Apart from the obvious wing-bar in flight and the tail feathers that are not always distinct at distance; are there any other plumage or other distinct colouration or pattern characteristics that anyone uses to distinguish the two?

Thanks Coigach.

Hi Coigach,

In summer plumage, the orangey colouration of Barwits streches all the way underneath, with Blackwits it's mainly just the neck and breast.

In winter, the upperparts of Blackwits are fairly plain, whereas Barwits have much more patterning.

I'll attach some photos (of various qualities!) which hopefully will explain what I mean a bit better....

There is also the upturned bill on the Barwit, but personally I have seen some birds of either species that don't seem to know the rules re: this particular feature.

Ruby

Attachments

• Bar- tailed Godwit.JPG
    Bar- tailed Godwit.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 556
  • Barwit1.JPG
    Barwit1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 431
  • Black-tailed Godwit 2.JPG
    Black-tailed Godwit 2.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 497
  • Black-tailed Godwit.JPG
    Black-tailed Godwit.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 607
Ruby -

The difference in the extent of the summer plumage russet is a good tip.

I find it fairly easy (I think) to distinguish the winter plumage as the Bar Tailed tend to have a far more defined patterning on the back.

I should be seeing Bar Tailed this weekend and there may be a couple of Black Tailed present too so that'll hopefully give me a good opportunity to re-examine and compare yet again.

The main points I'll be trying to note will be comparative stance and structure, that "short legged" look of the Bar Tailed and the extent of the russet as well as the other obvious plumage distinctions (wing bars and tails).

Tell you what, just discussing it like this makes the distinctions seem all the more obvious but that's until I get out there and begin to question my own judgement again especially if there are equal quandries and uncertainties amongst other observers (as there usually seem to be).

I've even known a few very experienced and knowledgable birders recently that have seemed a little unsure at times.

Thanks

I was given a good tip for identifying at great distances by a birder in Norfolk. The Black-tailed feeds with head-down but swallows frequently by tipping the head back and up which the Bar-tailed doesn't do. Try it out - it works for me.

Excellent Vernon.

That's a new one on me although it sounds as though it shouldn't be.

I'll keep my eye out for that on Sunday.

I saw the Blackwits for the first time yesterday in Elmley RSPB. (tick on my life list). I was in a state trying to identify them particularly as there were no Barwits to compare them to. The feeding tip from Vernon rings true from what I saw, so that's a goodie. Beautiful summer plumage I have to say. I was stunned at how smart they looked.
Henstooth

I was given a good tip for identifying at great distances by a birder in Norfolk. The Black-tailed feeds with head-down but swallows frequently by tipping the head back and up which the Bar-tailed doesn't do. Try it out - it works for me.

I like that one but how do you remember which one does what?

Mick

It should also be noted that the leg length/structure thing works less well in SE Asia as compared W.Europe - but I guess Europe was what you were interested.
in.

Well; that was an interesting weekend,

Seven Black Tailed Godwits and no Bar tailed Godwits but one bird in particular that stood out from the crowd, a much more strongly coloured bird that I intitially thought may have been a Bar Tailed as it's russet plumage did seem far more extensive than on the other birds (same shape though), fortunately a very experienced Birder came to the rescue (thanks Dave) and identified it very positively as Limosa limosa icelandica (Icelandic Black Tailed Godwit).

So not a great deal of progress for me there I feel.

I'm waiting now to see both species (or all three) side by side (by side).

Where was that spot? The reason I ask is that when I was at Elmley, there was ONE PARTICULAR Godwit that had markedly more red russet plumage than the others. I assumed it was a "better, stronger" male of the Black Tailed (no bars on tail) rather that any a differet type. I was there Thursday in the first hide.
Henstooth

tbh... think getting experience of seeing Barwit and Godwit together in the field is the best way of gaining confidence in Iding them when they are alone - they vary, as with many birds, and when typical plumage features aren't visible or structure hard to judge without comparative reference (ie bill/leg length), lone birds can be quite hard to confidently ID at times. Especially when distance and lighting isn't on your side (which is often the case with waders!)

Meanwhile try another memory aid for a bit of fun:

MALE Bar-tailed = the ALCOHOLIC bird

1. Beer gut
2. Head in it's drink, nose pointing up at optics
3. Drinks slowly to avoid a long bill
3. Alcoholic flush
4. Legless

all leads to being BARRED permanently in the end! (female tries to avoid bars altogether except at tail-end of the evening, and generally shows a warm peachy glow rather than alcoholic flush)

MALE and FEMALE Black-tailed = BINGE drinkers

1. Knocks back it's drink one after the other - 'bottoms up'
2. One night out leaves them with a Long bill in the red
3. Have beginnings of alcoholic flush (although Icelandic drinkers tend to develop greater flush similar to alcoholic Bar-Tailed) but then always gets BARRED in the middle of the evening rather than at the end
4. Usually have the legs to walk away!

B :) B :)

Hi Guys,

Have to say that I find structure etc to be a easier and more reliable id factor than plumage - the only reason that I banged on about plumage is because that is the particular question from Coigach that I was responding to. The problem with relying on plumage is that we usually see birds (here in the SE at any rate) which are either in the process of gaining or losing their Summer plumage and any given flock of birds can show enormous differences amongst them.

Good tips regarding the feeding action and posture - I'll have a look out for that next time I'm in Godwit-land....

Ruby

Henstooth -

This was on the tidal area of the Trent/Ouse/Humber.
I assumed it was a "better, stronger" male of the Black Tailed (no bars on tail) rather that any a differet type.
This bird not not really different "type"; still a Black Tailed Godwit but one of the "Icelandic race" rather than Scandanavian. The same principle as Dark and Pale bellied Brent Geese.

Deborah - Very good, I like it.

Ruby - I'd rather not contemplate eclipse and moult at this stage LOL.

So with your's up there and mine down here....not likely to be the same one!!LOL. But mine most likely to be an Icelandic too...Thanks for that.

"The problem with relying on plumage is that we usually see birds (here in the SE at any rate) which are either in the process of gaining or losing their Summer plumage and any given flock of birds can show enormous differences amongst them." (Ruby)

Hiya!
We were at the London Wetland Centre yesterday where this was most apparent. Two seperate groups of Blackwits dropped in (3 and 6) and were in various stages of moult. Still, had lovely views down to about twenty metres!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back