• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat struggle (Provence France) (1 Viewer)

Dromo

Yesterday we were alerted by squeaking coming from the eaves of our summer house. When we looked, we found that there was a bat with one of its wings caught in a gap in the wood. Upon closer inspection, it turned out that there was some creature in the hole which had hold of the wing and the bat was frantically trying to shake it off. Does anyone have any idea as to the identity of the attacker? It was difficult to see it clearly but it seemed to have black and yellow hoops. Our own guess is that it was some form of centipede but we cannot be sure. In addition to the attachment, there is a short video here. The assailant comes into view about 4 seconds into the video.

Eventually, we were able to free the bat and left it in the woodland at the back of the house where it seemed to recover.

Attachments

• XXX_6021a.jpg
    XXX_6021a.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 29
Yep, that's it all right. I thought it had to be something fairly substantial as the bat was making no headway at all in trying to get away and would have been dragged inside if the hole had been big enough. I poked a length of split bamboo into the hole and I presume that the centipede let go of the bat so as to deal with the stick. In any event, the bat dropped into a box we had ready and the rest is as I put it in my original post.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back