• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why can you not hear some bird songs? (1 Viewer)

Jaysan

I was researching bull finch calls and how soft they are (discussed in another post). I was looking up how to record high and low frequency sounds when I came across this youtube video which is the sound from 20Hz to 20KHz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

I was surprised that I could not hear either end of the spectrum, but more so the higher end. I did not expect this as I can hear gold crest / treecreaper calls. Not sure how reliable this is. But worth a listen.

Did you try it with headphones to block out background noise? It depends on your computer's sound card, your speakers/headphones, and your hearing.

It cut out at about 10kHz for me, but probably only that high because I had it up loud. I could hear way higher frequencies when I was younger.

It was interesting that it got louder and softer at different frequencies, perhaps indicating peaks and troughs in my hearing, or the computer's playback ability. It also got louder in one ear in spots, which is more likely to be a difference in my hearing.

Thanks Pshute. Clearly there are a lot of variables Wasn't trying to start a diagnostic service here;).

I heard it off the speaker and could hear between 50hz to 12Khz . Will try headphones. Curious now:)

Regards, Jaysan

I’m envious. I find that my wildlife recordings sound much better with headphones. I can hear birds I didn’t hear while I was making them.

I had to listen to the low end a few times to ascertain that it was an actual sound - sounds a lot like microphone wind noise, my own heartbeat, etc. It's not a clear rumble for me until about 30Hz, and I only hear it with the volume all the way up. Starting about 60Hz it's easer to hear as it becomes something I could describe as a tone. I then have to turn the volume way down for most of the range, but there's a drop-off starting around 10KHz when I have to start turning the volume up again. At 18KHz it's gone.

I had to listen to the low end a few times to ascertain that it was an actual sound - sounds a lot like microphone wind noise, my own heartbeat, etc. It's not a clear rumble for me until about 30Hz, and I only hear it with the volume all the way up. Starting about 60Hz it's easer to hear as it becomes something I could describe as a tone. I then have to turn the volume way down for most of the range, but there's a drop-off starting around 10KHz when I have to start turning the volume up again. At 18KHz it's gone.

I have an similar experience with you. I start to hear about 30 Hz but on the higher end my hearing stopped at about 13 kHz. :eek!:
But I can still hear grasshoppers, treecreepers, goldcrests etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back