• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from West Tennessee! American Robin question... (1 Viewer)

AshJones

Hey y'all! We have 3 columns on our back porch that are about 8 feet tall and covered by the patio roof. Every year in May, we have a robin build a nest on the column that's a few feet from our back door and we get to watch the whole process over the next month. I have loved it! We've already had one successful brood of three babies this year, which left the nest about a month ago. Shortly before we left for vacation, we noticed a robin had started building a new nest on top of the old nest. It didn't look very sturdy when we left for the beach, which was June 19th. We returned home on June 27th to find only one egg in the old nest and no remnants of the nest she was building on top. She has been sitting on that one egg ever since. I'm curious as to what you guys think happened. I live in a subdivision with a fenced back yard and don't have any cats or anything. Since living here, we have had one successful brood of four babies each, each year, for the past four years, and haven't ever noticed any other birds bother them while in the nest. I wish I could just be ok with not knowing what happened but I'm one that wants an answer, haha! I'm going to be so sad for her if this egg is a dud. Thanks for any help!

Hard to say what went on. Could the unsteady nest have fallen apart and blew away? I'm assuming that you don't know when the egg was laid so I'd just wait and see what happens.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:
Please join in wherever you like and please let us know what happens with that egg if you don't mind ;)

Hi AshJones and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi AshJones and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the nest. Hopefully this one egg will be successful.

Thank you all! Mama is still sitting on the non-hatched egg and I also noticed today that daddy has been visiting while she is gone and watches the egg for a few minutes til she returns. We shall see!

Thank you all! Mama is still sitting on the non-hatched egg and I also noticed today that daddy has been visiting while she is gone and watches the egg for a few minutes til she returns. We shall see!

Sounds promising.

Update...baby is growing and eating, etc. as expected and should leave the nest by Friday. I'm a little worried how this baby will do with no siblings to watch but hoping for the best! Hopefully daddy will be a good teacher!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back