• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Buteo in San Dimas, CA (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Hi all. On a little rarity hunt this morning in San Dimas's Horsethief Canyon Park, I missed my target bird but came across a dark Buteo. My first assessment is an early migratory dark morph Swainson's Hawk. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC05898_crop.png
    DSC05898_crop.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC05895_crop.png
    DSC05895_crop.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC05890_crop.png
    DSC05890_crop.png
    257.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC05869_crop.png
    DSC05869_crop.png
    149.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC05848_crop.png
    DSC05848_crop.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 26
The short wing tips compared to the length of the tail troubles me about it being a Swainson's. How about a Dark Morph "Western", B. j. calurus, Red-tailed Hawk?

Bob

Last edited:
The short wing tips compared to the length of the tail troubles me about it being a Swainson's. How about a Dark Morph "Western", B. j. calurus, Red-tailed Hawk?

Bob

Could well be. It seemed lanky and it was perched side by side with a Red-tailed at one point and appeared a bit thinner and smaller - but could be within variation or male/female difference.

A friend of mine has a better camera with photos that he's gonna lighten up. I'll post those once he sends.

Lightened photos from a better camera:

Attachments

• DSCN3192r.jpg
    DSCN3192r.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN3179r.jpg
    DSCN3179r.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • DSCN3185r.jpg
    DSCN3185r.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 13
I think, with the lightened and improved photos, (which can also be enlarged) I will have to stick with a Dark Morph "Western" RTH. There isn't enough wing length for a Swainson's Hawk. In picture #2, if one looks hard at it, it also shows some scapular markings typical of a RTH.

Bob

I reviewed Wheeler and Clark’s examples of dark morph RTH too and it looks like that’s the best bet. Thanks, Bob!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back