• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird (to me!) in Pantanal, Brazil (1 Viewer)

barrancoalto

User from the Pantanal
Brazil
Dear birders,

I have been seeing this bird quite frequently, but could not identify it. I suppose it´s easy for some of you...

Habitat: river banks of southwestern Brazil, Pantanal. mostly hopping around the ground and turning leaves around ... femal and male very similar.

Antpitta ? some Furnaridae ?

A picture is attached.

Thanks a lot !

Lucas.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 106
Yes, what´s wrong with it? I guess there´s no similar Hornero in the Pantanal area. What do you think it is? Maybe there´s been a split I don´t know about?

EDIT: Now I see maybe you were joking about the 3 or 4 same posts ;)

Last edited:
Motmot said:
Yes, what´s wrong with it? I guess there´s no similar Hornero in the Pantanal area. What do you think it is? Maybe there´s been a split I don´t know about?

EDIT: Now I see maybe you were joking about the 3 or 4 same posts ;)

Yep, I was just kidding around!

Thanks a lot, it´s probably that, but our bird has a shorter tail and bill colour is different ... subspecies ? I guess they are migratory too, because we don´t see them all year round here in the southern Pantanal.

In case there were any doubts I can just as well confirm it: It is certainly a Pale-legged Hornero. It is a resident species and they look pretty much the same throughout their Brazilian range, except for slight variations in overall hue and amount of white on the throat. Only species it could be mistaken for are three other species of Hornero's not found in the Pantanal (Pale-billed/Bay and Lesser which are associated with Rivers in the Amazon and Wing-banded/Tail-banded of C & E. Brazil).

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back