• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are cheap BLM-1 eBay batteries (E-520) ok? (1 Viewer)

pshute

Australia
I still don't have a spare battery for my E-520.

I can buy a genuine BLM-1 locally for AUD$100, or a 3rd party one for $50.

I can buy a genuine BLM-1 from B&H for AUD $40 or a 3rd party one from B&H for $20, plus about $50 postage for either.

Or I can get a 3rd party one off eBay for $10, free postage.

Are these eBay ones ok? Can anyone recommend a seller they've got them from?

Two years ago I bought a cheap spare battery for E-520 from a local dealer (a chinese version, I think). The life span was (very?) short. I'm using now the original battery bought with the camera and another original one bought a year ago...

Two years ago I bought a cheap spare battery for E-520 from a local dealer (a chinese version, I think). The life span was (very?) short. I'm using now the original battery bought with the camera and another original one bought a year ago...

Since buying my first Olympus battery I have bulit up to five batteries. The last four have all been cheepos from "7dayshop" and they run just as well as the Olympus battery. On a fortnight's holiday and a thousand shots I don't need to charge a battery as five last me comfortably.

Andy

Since buying my first Olympus battery I have bulit up to five batteries. The last four have all been cheepos from "7dayshop" and they run just as well as the Olympus battery. On a fortnight's holiday and a thousand shots I don't need to charge a battery as five last me comfortably.
Thanks for continuing this old thread, as I still haven't done anything about a spare battery.

I regularly get at least 500 shots out of my original Olympus battery, and I once continued shooting till it was flat as an experiment, and got 1300 shots. That's without using flash, and my lens is manual focus, so nothing is being wasted turning an AF motor.

Have you tried running your 7dayshop batteries till they're flat to see exactly how many shots you get?

Thanks for continuing this old thread, as I still haven't done anything about a spare battery.

I regularly get at least 500 shots out of my original Olympus battery, and I once continued shooting till it was flat as an experiment, and got 1300 shots. That's without using flash, and my lens is manual focus, so nothing is being wasted turning an AF motor.

Have you tried running your 7dayshop batteries till they're flat to see exactly how many shots you get?

I run all my batteries to flat before swapping and they all "feel" as though they last the same time. As to number of shots; no idea but I do spend a long time with the camera on looking for shots (usually failing to catch the moment!), often with the 300mm focussing in and out. All that means that I am very happy that the capacity is good and has remained good. My Olympus and the first two form 7day are years old.

Andy

I don't use Olympus cameras these days but do have experience with alternative cheap batteries. Best rule seems to be to buy from supplier in the UK, 7 Day shop usually have some cheap ones, I got one for my Sony SLT 33 (also fits the NEX series) from them for £7.99 and have it has now done several charge cycles without any problem, it does seem to have a slightly shorter run time than the sony original but a longer run time than a Hamnel battery that I also have.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back