• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July 4th in Tucson (1 Viewer)

It depends what you want to see but Mt Lemmon has a great range of birds as you go up. Sweetwater Wetlands would also be worth looking at, for a bit of variety.

Anything in particular that you are looking for? In general, I would agree with Andrew and say Mt. Lemmon, if for no other reason than to get out of the heat!

Sweetwater is more of a winter/migration site and can be quiet in summer. There's always a good range of common birds but there won't be much in the way of ducks, shorebirds or migrants. It's also on the opposite side of Tucson to the Catalina Highway which leads to Mt Lemmon.

Mt Lemmon is excellent in summer and cooler than Tucson, so I'd recommend that with maybe a visit to Agua Caliente Park and/or Saguaro National Park East, both close to Catalina Highway, for desert species. Mt Lemmon offers everything from desert to Ponderosa pines at the top, and many of our specialty species.

Look thru the many other threads in this section because there are quite a few that are Tucson-centric. You will find many responses (including some of mine) with much info and many links.

I recently made my first trip down to mt lemmon to bird...it is defientaly worth the trip. Sweetwater wetlands this time of year is just ok. (although I have seen reports of a Tropical kingbird)
You can read my three blog posts detailing birding Mt lemmon here.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back