• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gdansk to Hel (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hi All,
Flying to Gdansk at the end of April for a week and planning on taking train to the start of the peninsula and then walking to Hel.
Any hot spots I need to pop into or is just sea watching and general walking and observing good enough for both sea birds and some summer migrants turning up.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Jono

Any takers: Off on Mon. 28th April, staying first two nights at Jastarnia, then on to Hel and train back to Gdansk on the Friday.
Cheers,
Jono

Hi,

My info is a bit dated, but best were usually the airstrip-like meadow and muddy reedbed on the western outskirts of Jastarnia, on the side of the Bay of Puck. Also, the area of the port of Hel was good. Part of the port is no entry as a military area. Raptor migration along the peninsula can be spectacular if there is sunny weather and slight easterly wind (but only then). There is also usually worth visiting the port at Wladyslawowo and marshy meadows to the south at the "end" of the Bay of Puck.

Note also, that there are two other very good (possibly better) areas around Gdansk. One is the mouth of the River Vistula at Swibno. Part of it is often closed as tern breeding reserve, but you can scan from outside. If time permits, you can walk along the beach to Gdansk-Gorki Wschodnie, passing the lake Ptasi Raj.

The second area is around village of Rewa. To the west are marshy meadows, ponds and ash dumping pools to the mouth of river Reda, and to the east are shore meadows going all the way to the village of Mechelinki.

I hope somebody has the current info, some of these places may be now non-functional or over-run by holiday makers and windsurfers. Especially the small sandy peninsula in the Rewa village used to be great bird stopover, until it became full of surfers. You may also try contacting local birders at drapolicz.org.pl or kuling.org.pl

Last edited:
Hi Jurek,
Many thanks for the info and the links to the website. Looking forward to this trip. Originally booked to visit The Crimea, but maybe walking around Sevastapol and the coast with binoculars, scope and several long lensed cameras not the best idea at present!
Shall post a report in early May.
Cheers,
Jono

Entering the port of Władysławowo might be dependent on luck as the gates are guarded (at least they were when I visited it, last time 1 year ago). But when there is a will you´ll find a way (entering from the beach from the east - but don´t tell anyone ;-) )

I would also suggest to check out the meadows in the west of the village Rewa if you´re already in Mechelinki.

And visit this website for rarities:
http://www.clanga.com/index.php/news/show

PS.: Don´t hesitate to visit the ringers camp at 54°44'25.00"N 18°33'49.00"E (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=54°44'25.00"N;+18°33'49.00"E) ran by the Gdansk University and part of the Baltic Action (http://akbalt.ug.edu.pl) On Facebook as Akcja Bałtycka.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I am familiar with the clanga website as I've been out birding with Zbigniew Kajzer an Sebastian Guentzal. Shall certainly check all areas mentioned and also the links provided. thank you.
Cheers,
Jono

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back