• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your preferred format? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Out of curiosity I would like to know what format is the most commonly used by you, not on special occasions but on a daily basis ... In this forum there is a lot of talk about the format 8x32 (also 8x30) and 8x42 (or also 10x42) about other less usual ...
What is your favorite? why? by weight, handlingability.
Best regards
Wachi

10x32 SV/FP. I prefer the lighter weight and compact size and 32mm gives me all the light gathering I need for the type of birding I do. I have been preferring the additional detail and reach 10x gives me and I have no trouble getting on the bird with it because it has a big FOV of 360 feet which is bigger than the Swarovski 10x42 SV. It is the binocular Diane Porter uses.

https://www.birdwatching.com/optics/swarovski/swarovski_el_10x32.html

Last edited:
My go-to bins are the much lauded Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32s. I also have Swarovski EL SV 10x42s and Canon image stabilized 18x50s, but as I'm elderly with slightly shaky hands, and have mobility problems, the relatively lightweight 8x32s are the most practical. They also have the widest field of view.

For birding when pack-size is not a concern (which is most of the time, for me), I use Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV (or another 7x42 or 8x42). I like the easy eye placement and mass-in-the-hand (for stability) compared to smaller bins, and I like the wide FOV and DOF compared to 10x. I also like the flat and astigmatism free view of this model.

For birding when pack-size is a concern, I use Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket in a compact case that I took from a Nikon bin. These bins handle and deliver a view almost as comfortably as a full size, but they pack into effectively the same space as my previous favorite in this category--the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL in their leather clamshell. In general, I prefer pocket roofs of 8x20 or 8x25 format when I need a small binocular. The Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket is the first bin in this category that feels like almost no compromise.

I used to use the Zeiss 8x32 FL a lot, but I think it is moving into the "retired from regular use" category. It is a superb binocular for birding+butterflying because of its rapid-yet-precise down to ~5 ft close focus, but I am finding that the Zeiss 8x25 Victory may be just as good for this use. The Zeiss 8x32 FL was also my favorite "compact but with no optical compromises" travel bin, just edging out my Leica 8x32 Ultra Trinovid BA in that category due to its close focus (for butterflies) and low CA (which is important for obtaining that last little bit of resolution that I like to have access to when viewing at the limits of my vision, as I often do when travelling without a scope). However, the performance of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory is so good that it will probably replace the 8x32 for most if not all travel. I'm still evaluating whether the little Zeiss can replace its bigger counterpart for critical limits-of-my-vision viewing. I think it can.

In general, I prefer 8x42 over the 8x32 format for the easier view (big exit pupil allows me to dart my eyes around the view without black-outs), and because I don't care that my bin is particularly light weight (in fact, I prefer mass for stability). Consequently, I have only been interested in the 8x32 format for its smaller pack size in an optical no-compromises bin. The Zeiss 8x32 FL or Leica 8x32 models, packed into a tight-fitting leather case from the Leica Ultra Trinovid BA/BN series, are great for that, whereas the large-sized 8x32 models from Swarovski and Nikon, or the Zeiss Conquest are not attractive to me since they don't pack small. The Zeiss 8x25 Victory is a game changer for me, as I think it will substitute for my previous applications of both the 8x32 and 8x20 formats.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back