• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern ID's Central NJ (1 Viewer)

NJBirder12

Can someone ID these terns for me? the first 3 photos are the same pair of birds I believe - are they forster's terns? the last photo is another individual

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thanks so much! It is a lifer for me i believe. i went through some older photos to double check. are either of these showing a forster's? still reading up on underwing details etc

thanks again

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 26
Thanks so much! It is a lifer for me i believe. i went through some older photos to double check. are either of these showing a forster's? still reading up on underwing details etc

thanks again

These are common terns. They have darker/deeper red bills, darker trailing edges to the primary feathers, trend more towards gray on the belly vs white, and in photo two it is quite obvious that the tail streamers have dark outter edges, often described as dark outter webs. Forster’s lack the dark outter webs of the tail streamers and have less contrast overall, appearing more uniformly white. Forster’s however, still show white and dark contrast in the flight feathers especially in breeding plumage, it’s just not as pronounced.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back