• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1Gb card question (1 Viewer)

desgreene

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a Canon 10D. Could anybody tell me if the optional 1Gb Micro Drive is still in the compact flash format as the smaller capacity cards are?
My reason being that I have a compact flash reader built in to my PC and may find it more convenient to use 512Mb CF instead.

Thanks, Des.

Hi Des. Check with th manufacurer of your card reader. I use a trustcard reader and the maximum CF card it will take is 512mb.

Hi Des, I don't know how others feel but I would avoid the micro drive. Data transfer is slightly slower but the big issue is the fragility - given its moving parts. My daughter accidently "drop-kicked" one of my micro-drives > I lost all the data & never got it to work again. I also recently dropped a second micro drive onto damp rushes where it fell down into water ( I was standing in a bog) & again its never worked since. Prior to this I noted occasional cold weather problems with slow data loading. I now use 1gB Compactflash cards with absolutely no problems & I'm sure they work out not much dearer!
Cheers,
Steve

Hi Des,
I use a 10D with an IBM 1GB Microdrive with no adverse problems. To upload to my computer I use a SanDisk cardreader which accepts both Compactflash and Microdrive.

Hi all,
thanks for the answers. I think in view of the above I may start out with a 512Mb CF (I can't find anything about my Medion card reader to say it would be restricted to this though). Then if I find I need a further card at least all my eggs aren't in one basket (are you allowed to use that phrase on here? ;) ).

Cheers, Des.

Anyone tell me where I can buy some bean bags suitable for resting camera and lens when photographing from a car?
Malcolm

They're not easy to find in my experience - but they're a doddle to make. If you are not handy with a needle and thread, any of the "Quick-Stitch" type shops would run one up in a flash. You might need to provide the beans or lentils and the velvet cloth. The most difficult part will be choosing the colour...

(-:

Last edited:
Nigel,

I presume that you would recommend we normally format the CF card and not subject it to wash cycle six to "clean off" all unwanted previous information?
;)

nigelblake said:
Double bean-bags are available from wildlife watching supplies http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/main.html

Also from Warehouse express http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

and from Mike Lane http://www.nature-photography.co.uk/Grippabags.htm

As for Microdrive reliability, one of mine has been through a complete wash/spin/dry cycle in my washing machine, I for got to check my pockets........it still works perfectly.

Sounds like a good way to clean up your image!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back