• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

22 Waxwings (1 Viewer)

JJM

I was driving towards Glasgow City Centre this morning and spotted 22 Waxwings feeding on Rowan Trees in Raglan Street at the junction of St George's Road and Garscube Road (just outside the north side of the city centre), they were constantly being chased off by a pair of Mistle Thrushes who were trying to protect their food source. I watched the Waxwings from the car at a range of around 15 feet until they were once again chased off by the Mistle Thrushes, Waxwings really are superb looking birds and I take every chance I get to watch them.

Tammie, Here is a picture of one that I took earlier this year, at a local supermarket.

Forgive the quality, this was taken on 35mm slide film, and my scanner is not to good at handling that format.

Attachments

• wax1.jpg
    wax1.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 365
There were still 20 birds at the same place near Glasgow City Centre at 1310 hrs today, I could only watch them for a short time as I was on my way to work.

Thank you so much for your pictures. They are such stunning birds! I've only ever seen them from a distance and don't stand a chance of getting pictures of them... yet. I'm in the process of planting different things in the yard to bring them in. Hopefully, someday!

This looks very much like the Bohemian waxwing here in North America. I was surprised day before yesterday, right around dusk, to see a single cedar waxwing at the park, among a flock of yellow-rumped warblers, darting out after insects.

Dan, the Waxwings seen in the UK are Bohemian Waxwings (Bombycilla garrulus), the same species as seen in North America.

Pah. Lucky swine. I've got a big fat zero this year. The mistle thrush ate all our carefully nurtured rowan berries.

Guess if I want to see one I'll have to drive 40 miles and loiter suspiciously around a B&Q car park in a characterless Stockport retail park whilst carrying a pair of binoculars.

Why cant waxwings chose more glorious locations to call in on when their enjoying their winter break or do they habitually spend the summer breeding in the environs of Siberian petro-chemical plants, global polluting smolten lead factories or vast colourless concrete block housing estates?

My best sighting was 35 in our garden. But that was New Year's Day, 1971 in Renfrewshire!

Haven't seen one since!

A report in the local newspaper encouraged readers to put out apples for the hoardes of waxwings arriving in Norfolk. A large box of rotting brambleys was duly spread around the garden, much to the delight of the local blackbirds, thrushes and fieldfares. Not a single waxwing however!!!. Later rewarded by the sight of 14 birds together in trees adjacent to the busy A11 trunk road on the outskirts of Thetford. They remained in the area, in varying numbers, for several weeks.

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back