• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adaptable Tripod and head?? (1 Viewer)

midge

Wonder if some of you could advise on a tripod and head combo that would be flexible in terms of using it for my Opticron spotting scope and for camera use? We have just got the new Canon 350D and I hope to buy a Sigma lens in the next couple of months (Either the 170-500mm or the 50-500mm) so the tripod and head will have to be suitable for both the scope and a long heavyish lens. At present I am using an old Gitzo Reportage tripod which though very stable is much too heavy for use in the field really. So the tripod I need should be strong and stable and easily portable. Thanks in anticipation of any advice.
Regards
Midge

midge said:
Wonder if some of you could advise on a tripod and head combo that would be flexible in terms of using it for my Opticron spotting scope and for camera use? We have just got the new Canon 350D and I hope to buy a Sigma lens in the next couple of months (Either the 170-500mm or the 50-500mm) so the tripod and head will have to be suitable for both the scope and a long heavyish lens. At present I am using an old Gitzo Reportage tripod which though very stable is much too heavy for use in the field really. So the tripod I need should be strong and stable and easily portable. Thanks in anticipation of any advice.
Regards
Midge
Hi Midge after a very steep and expensive learning curve I have now what I believe the best combination.

This consists of a Manfrotto carbon fibre 443 tripod light but sturdy. On top of this is a Black Widow Gimble Head expensive yes but you will not have to buy another head.

I use this combo for both Digiscoping (Leica77 + Contax SL300) and DSLR Canon 20D + 400 F5.6 and it is as solid as a rock no matter at what angle you are trying to view. You will ofcourse need 2 Q/R plates to be able to swop over quickly.

I am sure others will have a different view and other suggestions, but if you can get to try the above you will be amazed at how well it works.

Hope this is of some help.

Pete

Pete
Thanks for your answer to my question, it does sound like an ideal set up, but for myself it is just too expensive, it really sounds like the sort of combination that a Pro photographer would use. I have in mind something like a Manfrotto Tracker fitted with a Grip Action Ball head, has anyone any comments on these? In particular the Grip Action Head. Thanks in Advance.
Midge

midge said:
Regards
Midge
Manfrotto 055 with 128RC head. Sturdy (much more so than 190.), stable, not too heavy & about £170.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back