• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Diascope successor (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

The first diascopes were first seen in 2007 I think.
10 years seem to be a normal model lifecycle for optics.
Will there be a new Zeiss scope at BirdFair
and what improvements would you like to
see compared to the current model?

A successor is on the way and an 85mm version has been tested by some professional birders in the UK. Not clear if it was prototype or a more advanced model. 'Very light' I'm told. My source thought it might be released next year.

Zeiss is very secretive about these new launches, which is a shame if you're thinking about changing your scope. I would have postponed my Swaro SV purchase if I'd known the SF was imminent.

This is all I know, does anyone know any more?

Well, that was quite a lot of news.

Perhaps thinner glass, shorter body, integrated eye piece,
slimmer magnesium chassi might shave off some grams.
No huge weight differences between the current scopes,
and I'm not sure if weight would be a major selling point on a these big scopes?

To me the weight would have to go down to around 1650-1700 grams like the ATS80 or Kowa 773
to make me interested in a large scope. And perhaps be as compact/short like the 773.

Would really prefer having one single scope instead of a something like the 65mm + 95 mm ATX, that would mostly be awkward to me.
That said the 95mm ATX is getting quite popular around here.

Kowa 883 - 1895 grams with 25-60x
Diascope 85mm - 1997 gram with 20-75x
Swaro ATX 85mm - 1965 grams with 20-60x
Leica APO-Televid - 1955 grams with 25-50x
ATS80 - 1640 grams with 25-50x
Kowa 773 - 1705 grams with 25-60x

Last edited:
A successor is on the way and an 85mm version has been tested by some professional birders in the UK. Not clear if it was prototype or a more advanced model. 'Very light' I'm told. My source thought it might be released next year.

Zeiss is very secretive about these new launches, which is a shame if you're thinking about changing your scope. I would have postponed my Swaro SV purchase if I'd known the SF was imminent.

This is all I know, does anyone know any more?

What and/or who is a professional birder ?
OK, don't name names but I'd be interested in your definition mainly because I'm not aware of such a creature

What and/or who is a professional birder ?
OK, don't name names but I'd be interested in your definition mainly because I'm not aware of such a creature

Really simple, Mike. Anyone who makes a living from the hobby. For example, perhaps someone who works for the BTO, works for a bird information service, a bird tour company, carries out environmental surveys, etc etc. HTH

Thanks dogfish, I get the tour guide example and that's the only example I could envisage.
But equally I know a lad who once worked at BirdNet taking messages and distributing information -he wasn't a birder.

I would like to see a 100mm version!...o:D
I hope the X95 success will stimulate Zeiss to do such a version... I know that other alpha is preparing a reply to Swaro but can't tell which...;)

There are one or two regular contributors to this forum who have links to Zeiss, but I fear they've been forced to sign the Official Secrets Act ;)

Anyone seen Birdwatch magazine this month? No?

Probably worth a look if you want to find out more about the new Zeiss scope :)

HTH

Pete

Ah. Now that would be telling wouldn't it?

There's a review in there of the Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85, done by Mike Alibone their resident optics guru. His key takeaway is that it is lightweight for an 85mm scope, performed well in low light conditions and "image stays sharp across the whole magnification range". The eyepiece is 30-70x.

SRP is expected to be around £1600/€2100/$1900 and it will be on show at Birdfair apparently.

There's also a Zeiss ad for the new scope in the mag.

This link has a photo:

https://www.facebook.com/lacacciaalcinghiale/photos/pcb.768003546672601/768003360005953/?type=3

HTH

Pete

Yes, seen the BW piece. I was hoping the new scope would be a top-of-the-range model but I suppose there could still be one on the way.

Ah. Now that would be telling wouldn't it?

There's a review in there of the Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85, done by Mike Alibone their resident optics guru. His key takeaway is that it is lightweight for an 85mm scope, performed well in low light conditions and "image stays sharp across the whole magnification range". The eyepiece is 30-70x.

SRP is expected to be around £1600/€2100/$1900 and it will be on show at Birdfair apparently.

There's also a Zeiss ad for the new scope in the mag.

This link has a photo:

https://www.facebook.com/lacacciaalcinghiale/photos/pcb.768003546672601/768003360005953/?type=3

HTH

Pete

Ok, thanks,
I guess the possibility for a new Diascope this year decreased
with this Conquest-scope.

I had the Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85 for a test and my eyepiece was 30-60x. Unfortunately I may not publish the article before the end of july. ...

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back