• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trystan’s 2018 world list (1 Viewer)

Disgusted with the weather yesterday on the way back south. Tried for the black scoter in impossible conditions with 40mph gusts and sand blasting half my face.

I managed a consolation black grouse at arkengarthdale this afternoon at least.

609. (237.) Black grouse

Infuriating weather once again, made a second attempt for the black duck in Northumberland today. Several people claiming to have the bird, even looking through someone's scope at the alleged bird only to see empty water - the bird presumably dived and could not be relocated.

A couple of brief views of what may have been the bird in between squalls of rain, then in the afternoon when the weather calmed down, absolutely nothing.

610. (238.) Red throated diver

Last edited:

On a roll of bad luck, a big Friday clear out at Spurn and able to manage only:

611. (239.) Hooded crow
612. (240.) Shorelark

Some appalling photographers getting too close to these birds instead of respecting their space.

Well, the weekend began with more disappointment as the Pied wheatear had gone by Saturday and Sunday began in a similar vein.

Headed into County Durham to find a herd of joggers may have had something to do with the no show dusky warbler. A ridiculously late firework display may have been responsible for the no show hoopoe. Then a nailed on short eared owl site failed to produce one.

Arriving at Seaton Carew 10 minutes after the last sighting of pallid swift and its failure to reappear had me questioning why I put myself through this.

The answer to that question came soon enough though when news broke that the swift was now at the headland and before too long I was watching said bird down to a few meters along with its companion, the little swift.

With the turn in fortune and a little time available Short eared owl finally did make the year list back down at Seaton Carew Common.

Hartlepool headland

613. (241.) Pallid swift - 1st UK
---. (242.) Little swift

Seaton Carew

614. (243.) Short eared owl

Last edited:
18/11/18

Leighton moss

A very nice day. As well as the target year birds, 5 species of heron around the reserve. Grey heron, Bittern, Great white egret, Little egret, Cattle egret

615. (244.) American wigeon
616. (245.) Great grey shrike

Ainsdale

617. (246.) Dusky warbler

Extremely difficult to find the location but once there, the bird showed very well.

25/11/18

Managed to rack up 80 species including 23 species of wildfowl starting with the main target.

Seaton Common

618. (247.) TAIGA BEAN GOOSE

16/12/18

Couple of weeks off birding so nice to get out in the fresh air this Sunday.

Filey

619. (248.) Great northern diver

Hornsea

---. (249.) Scaup

Feel like I need to make the effort and get a nice round 250 for the UK before the year's out. Iceland gull or black redstart still outstanding, let's see.

23/12/18

Did well at escaping the wretched weather this Sunday, heading north with two targets to tip me over the 250 mark.

Tynemouth

620. (250.) Black redstart

Richard's pipit was a no show but no rain all day and a flock of around 25 waxwings was a nice bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back