• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sulawesi Babbler ??? N. Sulawesi, Indonesia (1 Viewer)

kctsang

Hi,

Found this in heavy undergrowth, in Tomohon area up in the hills.

Appreciate your opinion on this ...

Thanking you in advance ....

K C Tsang

Sorry left the pictures out ....

My apologizes for leaving the pictures out ....

Hi,

Found this in heavy undergrowth, in Tomohon area up in the hills.

Appreciate your opinion on this ...

Thanking you in advance ....

K C Tsang

Attachments

• Sulawesi Babbler ??.jpg
    Sulawesi Babbler ??.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Sulawesi Babbler ???.jpg
    Sulawesi Babbler ???.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 101
It's a babbler, it's on Sulawesi...there is only one species of babbler known from Sulawesi (if I remember correctly)...so I think you have your answer!

May we use the picture in the Opus? Sulawesi Babbler is quite variable and the picture we have from James Eaton shows a much duller coloured bird. It would be nice to have both pictures.
Where exactly was the picture taken?

Greetings from Switzerland
André

Sure please use the picture in Opus, it was taken in the area of Tomohon, N. Sulawesi, Indonesia. Outside the town of Tomohon, up in the hills, or highlands...

Can be found in Google earth. It is also south of Manado.

Cheers

May we use the picture in the Opus? Sulawesi Babbler is quite variable and the picture we have from James Eaton shows a much duller coloured bird. It would be nice to have both pictures.
Where exactly was the picture taken?

Greetings from Switzerland
André

Interestingly, Coates & Bishop only details 2 species of Babbler in Wallacea: Sulawesi Babbler (with a couple of subspecies, including one only found on the Togian Islands) and Pygmy Wren-babbler on Flores and Timor - I could have this completely wrong because my copy of the book is in Bahasa Indonesia which I don't speak!

However this website http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.jsp?region=idsl&list=sibleymonroe seems to list White-chested babbler, Chestnut-winged Babbler and Black-capped babbler on Sulawesi. Can anybody tell me which is correct (I trust Coates and Bishop!).

Anyway, the bird in question here is still a Sulawesi babbler (compare with this:http://orientalbirdimages.org/searc...=1497&Bird_Image_ID=32543&Bird_Family_ID=&p=4)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back