• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking binos repairs (2 Viewers)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Just want to say that I have had my Viking bino's for a long time.

They have been functional and have great quality as a product so we are happy

Sadly my OH (bless him) dropped the bino's onto our carpet in our house, and causes the bino eye cups to stick one way (for the glasses wearers)

We have has them so long, and we believe the warranty is expired now!

How much would this repair cost - any ideas would be appreciated?

:t::t::t:

Viking moved their service facility down to Suffolk over the summer and I suggest you give them a call first. Hopefully it's a trivial repair that you might even be able to do yourself. I think Jo is the person you need to speak to. 01986 875315

David

Viking moved their service facility down to Suffolk over the summer and I suggest you give them a call first. Hopefully it's a trivial repair that you might even be able to do yourself. I think Jo is the person you need to speak to. 01986 875315

David

Thank you David - will try your suggestion :t:

Just got a phone call from Viking via the RSPB, and they have fixed my bino's

£20 is not bad, and free postage, because we are picking them up at the RSPB Lodge, Sandy asap.

o:)o:)o:)

Hope it's OK to mention here recent good experience using Viking repair dept. Sent in my Viking 6.5x32MD (remember David?); left eyecup was a bit loose. When I phoned was answered promptly and communication was assuringly efficient and polite; sorry forgot to ask his name. Repair was done under guarantee.

Glasgow accent? Spoke to Joe on the Viking stand last Birdfair. He worked with Dougie Biggart (RIP) for many years and didn't seem too sure about the move to rural Suffolk.

Glad to hear the MDs are still getting some milage and Viking are doing a good job. Weren't the eye cups a bit wobbly from new? :-O

David

Glasgow accent?
Ah, assume it wasn't Joe then; while being conscious of this passage from Sullivan's first operetta :

BOX: Cox! (About to embrace. BOX stops.) You’ll excuse the apparent insanity of the remark, but the more I gaze on your features, the more I’m convinced that you’re my long lost brother.
COX: The very observation I was going to make to you!
BOX: Ah! Tell me, in mercy tell me, have you such a thing as a strawberry mark on your left arm?
COX: No!
BOX: Then it is he! (They rush into each other’s arms.)

Hope Joe's settled alright; guess he must be too young to see Glasgow to a flat picturesque landscape as a dream move.

Yep the MDs have given decent service thanks. I do remember you warning someone about the "rattly" eyecups. Never been an issue for me because I always have them fully down but wanted them to work in case wished to share when out and about. Just checked and the newly serviced eyecup is better than the other : rock solid for first two clicks and only tiny movement when fully out. I'm content. As least the all important focuser was nicer than a Swarovski out of the box ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back