• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK field guide recommendations (1 Viewer)

beeeater

for the last 20 years I've used John Gooders' Kingfisher field Guide to the birds of Britain and ireland. It's been a great book: good size, great cover, excellent illustrations, but alas it's now seriously out of date. Can anyone recommend a good replacement?

beeeater said:
for the last 20 years I've used John Gooders' Kingfisher field Guide to the birds of Britain and ireland. It's been a great book: good size, great cover, excellent illustrations, but alas it's now seriously out of date. Can anyone recommend a good replacement?

Collins Bird Guide by Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterstrom & Grant.

David

I agree with David. this is BY FAR the best bird guide for Europe. I have the
German version and I love it. I never go anywhere without it.

Markus

aguila said:
I agree with David. this is BY FAR the best bird guide for Europe. I have the
German version and I love it. I never go anywhere without it.

Markus

I second that. NOTHING like it available. It's definitely one of the world's best field guides.

Agree that Collins is best, but perhaps it is also getting a little out of date (if you care about things like species splits etc. and changing bird distributions). Is there likely to be an update any time soon?

Collins for me too.

I keep the book at home and use the eGuide pocket PC version in the field.

The eGuide let me down recently when I was at Holme watching a group of Shore Larks. Looked them up in the index - no such bird!
It was only when I got home and checked the book that I found that Collins describe them as Horned Lark.

Regards

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back