• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Apps for Android (1 Viewer)

The problem I was having with Bluebill reporting not having enough space to download sounds fixed itself for a while, but this update has made it return. I don't know what I did to fix it in the first place... lol

Well, at least it's one more piece of information. When an upgrade is installed, I think that some items in the Android configuration for that application are reset - so, probably they are involved with the issue.

XSCode, I think I've found the problem. There's an error in computing the free space when it lies in the ranges 2Gb-4Gb, 6Gb-8Gb, 10Gb-12Gb, 14Gb-18Gb, etc.

Unfortunately I've discovered the problem after releasing an update in the afternoon. Would be ok for you if I give you a non official file to install? You'd need to temporarily enable a preference of the smartphone that allows to install applications out of the market. If it works, I'll release a further update.

Let me know. Thanks.

Yeah fabrizio, that's fine. On the subject of updates, how hard would it be to add the ability to add birds to your log that aren't in the species list? I wanted to add a kingfisher and a cormorant today, but neither were there.

Yeah fabrizio, that's fine. On the subject of updates, how hard would it be to add the ability to add birds to your log that aren't in the species list? I wanted to add a kingfisher and a cormorant today, but neither were there.

If these are the regular British species, I'm sure they'll be there under a different name, so there's no need to add. I found it helped to change the default 'name search' algorithm to one that didn't require the first letter to be correct... then if you type Kingfisher (or kngf) it'll pick up Common Kingfisher (or whatever the name is on the app).

Yes, in Europe the "Kingfisher" is actually "Common Kingfisher", and the "Cormorant" is "Great Cormorant". Other typical first words are "African", "American", "Eurasian", "European". I appreciate the feedback because I've finally understood the meaning of some comments on the Android Market about birds that couldn't be found. I'll probably set the default filter without the initial matching for the next release - and evaluate whether such common words can be excluded by the filtering facility. I'm also going to post a new blog with some more information about the topic.

The file to try can be downloaded from here:

http://kenai.com/projects/bluebill/downloads/download/Snapshots/bluebill-mobile-android-0.15-SNAPSHOT-aligned.apk

In order to install it, you have to go to the Preferences / Applications and temporarily enable "Unknown sources" before downloading it. If you're in doubt of what you're running, open the contextual Preferences and select "About...", you'll see an about box with the version label (0.14.1 is the latest relased, 0.15.SNAPSHOT.... is the test app).

It should co-exist with the official release without overriding it: you should see two blueBill icons; the test app is named "blueBill Mobile (Development)". It has got its own work area on the disk (this means that the files that you download with one of the two versions won't be visible by the other one). It also means that you can run a side-by-side test - if the released app doesn't work and the test app works, we are sure that the problem has been fixed.

Last edited:
Ok, I've replaced the file - the new one is at http://kenai.com/downloads/bluebill/Snapshots/bluebill-mobile-android-0.15-SNAPSHOT.6089ab8fb22b.apk.

I've tried to install it myself with success. I followed the following procedure:

1. With my laptop I clicked on this link to get a QRCode for the download URL.
2. Launched the Barcode Scanner on my smartphone and framed the QRCode.
3. Confirmed to open the URL with the browser.
4. After a few seconds it started downloading the file and showed the list of downloaded file.
5. When the download completed, I long-pressed the file and popped up a context menu, then selected "Open".
6. I confirmed that I wanted to install it.
7. It was installed properly.

Dear all,

I can announce that the next release of blueBill Mobile, due for the end of the month, will include textual fact sheets and photos. You can preview how it will look like here:

http://bluebill.tidalwave.it/mobile/blog/?c=904

Given the number of new features, also the bag of things that can fail will increase. Since the idea of making available a preview version of the application, that can co-exist with the official release, proved to be effective for solving XsCode's problems, I'm thinking of repeating the thing consistently. That is, I could make available a preliminary release, that needs to be manually installed, to collect feedback and eventually fix problems proactively before making the official release.

Of course, this only makes sense if some of you is willing to experiment a bit. :t: Let me know, please.

Thanks!

I just tried this app today, i'm running Android 2.1 seems ok so far. I hope it keeps getting devoloped very handy indeed.

Last edited:
Fabrizio is there a way you can delete the days sightings,or export sightings to other programmes IE word or excel. At the moment you can only record the sightings.

POP

Fabrizio is there a way you can delete the days sightings,or export sightings to other programmes IE word or excel. At the moment you can only record the sightings.

POP

It is possible to export as plain text or KML and send it by email (in function of the software installed on the phone, it is also possible to export the text directly to things such as notepad applications on the phone). Just press the "Preferences" button on the phone while in the observation screen and select the "Share" option.

I'm working to add export to CSV format which would easily open the way to Excel / OpenOffice exporting. As soon as there's some spread, I'll start contacting various online databases (there are many around the world) to ask whether they would support a direct data feed from blueBill.

PS Sorry for the late answer, but I didn't received the usual email notification that new posts have appeared on this thread.

Hi Fabrizio.
My old mobile is an ancient brick so i know little about mobile tech.
I am now looking at the HTC Wildfire which has a low resolution screen.
My question is. Will your app. work OK on this low res. screen?
As it is now and when you add the pictures etc?
Many thanks
Cheers.
Del

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back