• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help in ID of a bird on a coastal walk (1 Viewer)

Sugarbabe

Whilst doing a coastal walk between Inverbervie and Johnshaven (25 miles south of Aberdeen) a bird flew in front of us coming from the land side.

The bird was kestrel size and was a distinctive brown all over but with a black head. There was no white at all on the bird, just brwon with a black head. It certainly looked like a bird of prey.

There was a family walking behind us with 2 children and the bird appeared to "divebomb" the kids.

I have searched my bird book but cannot find anything at all.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes I think you are right and it was an arctic skua. Should have realised that when it swooped low over the kids, but I was convinced it was a bird of prey.

I will have another look at your link form your 2nd reply when I get back from work as the pics aren't opening just now.

Cheers

Was that page lifted from the RSPB field guide Steve? I found it quite good on the differences in the three varieties of Terns, which always confuse me when birding near to the sea.

Hi jayhunter. No it wasn't though the rspb site is good and I looked at it just before this.:t:

Attachments

• search.jpg
    search.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 288
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back