• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Computer grinding to a halt (1 Viewer)

Super fast

2 GB of RAM is massive !!! ..Your computer should fly :smoke:
Anyway, see how you go with the new XP installation and let us know if it still runs slow :king:

Thanks Christine, its all up and running now and most of the software is back on. I am still not happy with the speed, it could just be lightroom, I have to wait ages for it to load each photo in the preview window, just so I can check the sharpness.

New graphics adaptor

Hi Christine ;)
Just a thought, what graphic adaptor do you have on your PC .. how much memory does it have ?
:smoke:

Thanks Christine, its all up and running now and most of the software is back on. I am still not happy with the speed, it could just be lightroom, I have to wait ages for it to load each photo in the preview window, just so I can check the sharpness.
Just a thought Christine, are you using Lightroom v1.2 which was released recently as this is supposed to help with the speed as opposed to v1.1.

Hi Roy, yes it is 1.2. I have just timed it and it is taking 30 sec from when I press on the thumbnail to it finish loading in the preview window then I can use the sliders to adjust.

Yes Steve, Trend PC-cillin. I disable it and remove off the taskbar when using photo programs because I know they can eat memory.

Now I have another problem, my mouse is very jerky, I have deleted and re-install the drivers but it hasn't cured the problem.

Hi Christine :smoke:
What do you mean "Jerky" ? .. do you mean slow, fast, or jumpy ..? Is it an optical or old style mouse ? .. Is it wireless ? .. did you have that problem before ? .. did you change the surface on which you run the mouse ? .. is it "Jerky" with all programs or only with some ?

Many questions, but the more info you can provide, the better the answer can be ;)

Its a usb trust mouse, its only very jerky when I am loading a program or the program is doing something, it jumps around the screen, it never did this before the format. If I try to move the mouse while a program is doing something it won't move except very jerky.

Its a usb trust mouse, its only very jerky when I am loading a program or the program is doing something, it jumps around the screen, it never did this before the format. If I try to move the mouse while a program is doing something it won't move except very jerky.

Hi Christine

Can I state the obvious here. ;)

I had a problem with my PC a week ago, as I thought it needed to be rebooted the other week (rebooted using a reboot disk to scan my files). It did not need a scan disk.
To add to this problem, the keyboard and the USB Trust mouse (as you have) went dead each time I powered up the PC. So I could not type anything at all to unlock it. I removed the mouse and tried in other sockets in the Hub (as you do) No luck and so it went on. :-C

I had some assistance, and found that the mouse and keyboard where fine, and the reboot scan disk was not needed too. I was lucky to have a working spare mouse and keyboard at hand here. The spare mouse/keyboard worked fine. So I knew my mouse was not at fault.

The way this was done was to go through BOIS as you log in, CTRL C immediately as your PC is firing up. You can check the status of your mouse if it is all right or not. I know you may have tried this already but persist and persist. :t:

So the reason I am saying this is if you have a spare mouse to test fine, try it through BOIS. If it does the same thing the hub is fine. Otherwise it may be the mouse that has become faulty here (or is faulty for whatever reason).

Anyway, it may be something very minor that is giving the problem. Here is hoping this is the case now. :t:

*Blooming* PC's we love them, and hate them at the same time

Regards
Kathy

I am at a loss, especially because you have loads of RAM on your PC .. unless of course, this "program" eats up a lot of this RAM as it loads up (very unlikely) ..

Have you tried the obvious steps:

1 - use an alternative surface for the mouse (eg plain white paper)
2 - Change the battery (if it's a wireless mouse)
3 - Use the Generic XP drivers. They are quite often better than the ones supplied by the manufacturer.

4 - Adjust the mouse settings from Control Panel
5 - If you have a spare mouse .. try it and see if that also behaves the same way.

Failing all that, try to clean up the temp files which may be still lurking around as post-installation debris .. One good way to do so is by running smitfraudfix:
Restart in safe mode (press F8 as you power up) and run it and choose option 2, wait for it and make sure you see it deleting the temp files ..
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/smitfraudfix.php

:t:

Thanks for the replies, I have tried another mouse and still the same. I have also tried on a different surface. This is totally baffling me. I have checked the driver its showing the xp one, not the trust. I wish I could go back to the old dos days, it was easy to sort then.

Thanks for the replies, I have tried another mouse and still the same. I have also tried on a different surface. This is totally baffling me. I have checked the driver its showing the xp one, not the trust. I wish I could go back to the old dos days, it was easy to sort then.

Hi Christine

Another thought here.

Have you tried to reinstall your original mouse (delete all connecting files on your PC first), using your installation disk, or the new mouse with the new installation disk. I have Logitech Mouseware 9.7 here.

Sounds although there is a clash between XP, and your USB Port/HUB. It is not identifying the software as valid for some reason.

Try to re-install it using the same port and then try another port in your HUB -we have 4 ports in all here. You may have different.

I have to confess I find I have to reinstall my printer on occasions. For some reason it gets stuck, or refuses to scan/print and this seems to do the trick each time. Comes up with all manner of text which I do not understand. I only do that in extreme situations though. ;)

Regards
Kathy

I have just done another screen capture of what is loaded and the performanc screen, something is working hard but nothing is running apart from firefox and thunderbird.

Attachments

• 2007-10-03_163953.jpg
    2007-10-03_163953.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 2007-10-03_164027.jpg
    2007-10-03_164027.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 67
Hi Christine ;)
Can you please download and run the Smitfraudfix utility as per my post above ... We can at least exclude any temp file problems

Also, looking at your screen shot, there are a lot of processes running, not only Thunderbird and Firefox ..:smoke:

I can see some Canon Camera ones, as well as some PDA ones .. is it possible that you had one (or more !) of those devices plugged in and they were communicating with the PC at that time ..

It would be great if we could pin it down to the program which causes the mouse freeze .. so start with the smitfraudfix, then load up and test your "standard" programs (only one at a time !!) and see which one causes the mouse freeze o:)

I have just done another screen capture of what is loaded and the performanc screen, something is working hard but nothing is running apart from firefox and thunderbird.

Hi Christine

It sounds although you have a program working in the background all of the time, and your PC is on overdrive at the moment. From your pictures it looks very busy at the moment.

One thing that is going through my mind - can I ask if you have a lot of programs running at the same time on your PC, so it causes the "performac" screen to go into overdrive as it does?

You could test this by making sure that all programs are shut down and see if there is a difference in the "performac" level. If there is are too many programs/applications you are using at one time, it may be the fact that you need to keep your current running applications to a limit.

I have Win98 ((blush ;))), and if I end up with too many applications or replies from BF messages, my PC hangs and slows up and jitters about a bit (the mouse does it too). So I try to keep my Control bar quite clear of too much applications in the first place.

Just to state, I do have a lot of excess memory here to run AutoCAD Graphics and Microstation so I have to have that facility anyway. They are very big packages to run too.

This may be the fact with your PC that you are running too many applications at one time.

The other thing the program which is running should not be doing what it is at the moment and needs to be cleared out. It is stuck and refuses to go so it appears to me from what you are saying here

Doing this may mean a defrag of your PC (I do not know if XP does this automatically or not), I have to do it manually on Win98 with a few menus here and there. It takes a while to do and my PC sat doing it for 45 minutes last time, so it does take a while to finish.

I felt it worked too, and the speed of my PC has improved since.

Another minor important thing is so you clear out your temporary files on a daily basis? This stops the Technical traffic/cookies from slowing down your PC too.

It may be that you need to give your PC an overhaul in the file department and dispose of the unwanted clutter that had collected over time. Yes, it does do that a lot, from each time you log in, to using the web to whatever.

As you seem to have enough RAM/memory, it may be that excess files need to be cleared out.

Whatever it is I hope it is sorted soon. :t:

I hope this helps ;)

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
I haven't any canon ones running only the screencapture. I have just downloaded the Smitfraudfix. I started my my virus checker before I downloaded and it is saying it is high risk is it safe to open.

Peewit, all I have running at the moment is firfox and thunderbird. Sorry I just noticed I did have lightroom running at the same time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back