• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the new ED-X 10x42's (1 Viewer)

Neil Hagley

Lesson number one, never buy optics based solely on reviews. Having read the reviews on the new ED-X's one could be forgiven for thinking they were effectively Leica's at a quarter of the price (although of course you know that never really happens).
First of all, I am an Opticron fan and over the years I have pointed several friends in that direction who continue to be more than happy with their purchases.
I use Zeiss as my main bins but wanted a decent pair for the car and these looked a good bet so I trotted off to a nearby stockist to give them a try. They are OK and that's about it. They didn't have the brightness I was expecting, the diopter never quite got to the perfect spot and if you have relatively close eyes the business end feels really uncomfortable unless the eyes cups are turned right in.
They may suit others but based on a twenty minute session in the open on a dull day I would not describe them as 'a game changer' (quote from one review).

I had a similar amount of time with the 8x42 ED-X last week. I thought it was a pretty good product at the £250 price point (but no Leica etc. ;) ). Small and fairly light, a reasonably wide view and largish sweet spot. I suspect they will appeal to those with smaller hands. I only tried them wearing glasses so didn't notice the eye-cup issue you mentioned. The 8x seemed brighter than others I've tried at a comparable price and the colour was pretty neutral. I was probably expecting lower CA levels in an 'ED', but I suspect most will find it quite acceptable, particularly in a short pair like these.

Having said that I personally preferred the slightly more expensive new Countryman HD, which is more conventional, a little larger, has a slightly narrower view, but better contrast and lower CA to my eyes. Add in the revamped Imagic as the Verano HD, and I think Opticron has done well with the updates to their range.

David

info

Lesson number one, never buy optics based solely on reviews. Having read the reviews on the new ED-X's one could be forgiven for thinking they were effectively Leica's at a quarter of the price (although of course you know that never really happens).
First of all, I am an Opticron fan and over the years I have pointed several friends in that direction who continue to be more than happy with their purchases.
I use Zeiss as my main bins but wanted a decent pair for the car and these looked a good bet so I trotted off to a nearby stockist to give them a try. They are OK and that's about it. They didn't have the brightness I was expecting, the diopter never quite got to the perfect spot and if you have relatively close eyes the business end feels really uncomfortable unless the eyes cups are turned right in.
They may suit others but based on a twenty minute session in the open on a dull day I would not describe them as 'a game changer' (quote from one review).

Hi Neil what Zeiss do you use-i was going to take the same route as you with these cheaper Opticrons,but several articles have dampened my enthusiasm for them.
I already have the Zeiss 10x50 Jenoptems,they really are very good,it's just the size and weight that my old hands can't handle to long. jim.:h?:

Hi Neil what Zeiss do you use

Full sized Zeiss 10x40. The equivalent from the current range would be 10x42 Victory.
I also have a pair of 8x30 Jenops (East German) which are great. They are light wide angle grab and go bins. You can often find barely used examples on Ebay for £50 ota.
Cheers
Neil

Thanks

Full sized Zeiss 10x40. The equivalent from the current range would be 10x42 Victory.
I also have a pair of 8x30 Jenops (East German) which are great. They are light wide angle grab and go bins. You can often find barely used examples on Ebay for £50 ota.
Cheers
Neil

Thanks Niel.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back