• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (1 Viewer)

...but not yet sold...

Sold one little bit of my plot this weekend - the house and garden with a White Stork nest (this bit was not connected to my main plot, so was a bit of a nonsense keeping it). I do however lose three breeding species on my land as a result - White Stork, Tree Sparrow and House Sparrow. Will have to try to entice them across!

Hmm, as we've moved 35kms I don't think I'm going to be able to persuade our Italian Sparrow to come with us, other big loss will be the Marsh Warblers and I suspect passage raptors will be thin on the ground, err, in the sky;)

Hmm, as we've moved 35kms I don't think I'm going to be able to persuade our Italian Sparrow to come with us, other big loss will be the Marsh Warblers and I suspect passage raptors will be thin on the ground, err, in the sky;)

What's the new habitat? And the wider view? More species or fewer?

Like most others, no new species for a few weeks but things are moving so hopeful for a few more soon.

Richard - Have you started a new list allready from the new garden?

And... Dam you Jos! Why you didn't tell us you will sell part of your paradise? (o)<

Last edited:
Long time, no see - new species (26th of May was previous actually). But finally at last week I manage to see:
#54. Lesser whitethroat and
#55. Great White Egret! :-O - First time I saw this beauty from my garden. I was doing some carpentry at yard and heard pack of Barnacles flew over. Ten seconds after them something different flew above garden, making one circle and then carried on. It was so close that I saw it was pure white and I knew immediately what it is. But cos binoculars were close I took them to check feet coloring - black. (I don't whine, but Little Egret certainly would have been a even nicer, cos I haven't ever seen it in Finland.) I have to thank geese for this tick, because otherwise it would probably have slipped past without that I would have noticed it at all.

Last Swift seen here was the 13th - I saw two from another garden yesterday - as well as Yellow Wagtail - maybe tomorrow's rain will bring more through.

Another garden and house maintenance visit produced two
additions:
75 Hobby
76 Alpine Swift
I had a walk around the field edges beforehand and found 2 other species
not yet on the Garden list, both less than a mile away:
Grasshopper Warbler
Garden Warbler
Maybe if I did less tidying in the garden a Gropper might visit as happened a few years back when I let
the raspberry patch go 'natural';)

First waves of warblers coming south now, and thankfully I saw most of them in the spring, as some of them are pretty tricky to ID now!
A very nice Yellow-bellied Flycatcher just perched outside my window for a moment or two, taking me to 80.

Last edited:
Lovely photo Wari, it looks a bit fed up doesn't it! Our local shrikes have all melted away in the past week, there were several families in the area a week ago but on an 8km walk today not one to be seen so autumn is coming close. A migrating Common Redstart managed to collide with our kitchen window on Sunday and sat on the balcony stunned for 35 minutes before finally pulling itself together and continuing on its way.

Yep, Autumn is coming. I can even smell it in air. :king:
But don't worry Richard. I send you my last Red-backed Shrikes... (Not sure can they fly a route which I taught them.)

Yep, Autumn is coming.

Yes it is and migration is beginning here even though it still feels like summer. Yesterday, no 68) Whinchat and 69) Northern Wheatear, three of the former and two of the latter. Today Whinchats for the second day, at least one of them a different bird, a male who was not seen yesterday.

No 81 Canada Warbler They have been in the area on and off all summer, but one finally flitted through he garden with a mixed flock this morning, lovely.

Attachments

• canada warbler in the garden.jpg
    canada warbler in the garden.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 21
Been very hot here last couple weeks some beautiful days incuding yesterday gone a little cooler this morning down from 36c in shade yesterday to 24c locally.
I was in garden 7.30 am yesterday saw three grey herons flying around over woods to the near left of me , think must be long term nesting place for them. Usually see a grey heron go over garden early each morning depending of what time I finished with the nurse as when longer dont see the heron!
100+ Greenfinch have arrived today now most of them in the trees hope stay few days , have 5 resident greenfinch since more than a year.

Last edited:
Hope you're not suffering in this heat Brenda, it's even up to 31 C here and we're at 1,000 m altitude! What sort of trees are the Greenfinches coming to ?
Here they seem to have left the neighborhood for now. A Spotted Flycatcher at our new home last week and Pied Flys for the last 4 days in a row are more signs of migration. Most unusual species (heard only) was calling Whimbrel the other night,I wish I's started a 2016 garden list here now instead of deciding to wait till the new year !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back