• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wallcreeper Wishes. (1 Viewer)

So,
Desperate to see a Wallcreeper after many failed attempts seeing them high in the Pyrenees last summer.
Have allocated 4 days in the second week of February to go looking for them on
wintering grounds.
Suggestions of locations would be much appreciated? Ideally with no long flights/travel as we’ll only have 4 days including travel. I’m southern England, so France and Spain is doable. Also wouldn’t mind a site for snowfinch (or any other mountain species that come down lower for winter) nearby but not essential.

Any trip reports from weekends wallcreepering welcome!
Thanks.

Sorry you missed them last summer. Depending on the time of the year and weather they can be difficult! Last year we found two nests and one territory this year only a territory! In autumn and winter they ignore Birdwatchers around the nest they can be very tricky if they know your there - we definitely felt there was a decrease in feeding frequency when we got too close...

I had a friend who visited for 7 years, twice a year, he always missed them but lots of near misses.

Winter easiest but spring summer is when the bird is most spectacular!

There are sites all over but having already failed here I Les Baux is a good bet in Provence. You could try for little bustard and sandgrouse as well. For snowfinch you would have to find a ski resort....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back