• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why Leupold Golden Ring 8x32 HD? (1 Viewer)

dbuss

OK -- here is the lineup:
Swarovski 8x32 EL
Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL
Leupold GR 8x32 HD
I most value close focus and wide field of view. They all do well in each category and they seem to be highly rated by various reviewers. I'm inclined to buy the Leupolds because of a somewhat lower price. Are there any other reasons why I should or should not favor the Leupolds?
Dennis
PS: These would replace my old Swift Audubon 804 porros. I tried out the Nikon Premier LXL 8x32 but returned them thinking I would do just as well with a Monarch. Wrong! The Monarchs were a great disappointment with very distracting color fringing.

Dennis,

These are three great choices, essentially comparable in specs, and varying only in user preference details. In this configuration, I went for the Swarovkis - a cut above the Zeiss in resolution, I felt, but with slightly less color fidelity. I'm not familiar with the Leupold Gold Rings, but I've looked through a friend's Katmais and was astonished at the resolution and freedom from flare (so, I can only imagine the Gold Rings would be a bit better yet). Long story short, I'm guessing you'd be delighted with any of the three, but if you could get yourself to a shop (say B+H in NYC) and have a side by side comparison, you'd soon discover if the $300.00 savings were meaningful to you by selecting the Leupolds. It may very well be, but I don't think anyone here can tell you that; this is one of the close calls where you must be the on-site tie breaker for any number of unanticipated criteria that are unique to you.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Cheers,
Robert / Seattle

Last edited:
Robert,
Well, I took the plunge. The Leupold Golden Ring 8x32 HD arrived Thursday. I had a chance to try it out in Friday's light rain and today in sunny weather. I am very impressed. First, I wasn't sure whether or not I would like the dark brown color -- not a problem, it is a very fine looking binocular. It is a relatively heavy binocular but it feels fine at least for the hour I used it with the well made accompanying strap. A nice feature is the included Leupold harness for longer outings. Most importantly, the optics are just as bright, sharp and contrasty as the reviewers said they would be. Although I heard about the bald eagles nesting in the Carnegie Lake area of Princeton for the last few years, I was never fortunate enough to spot one until today with my new Leupolds -- a nice way to begin! I also spotted an osprey, kingfisher, great blue heron, common cormorant, and red bellied woodpecker -- all easily identified at some distance with the binocular. Eye relief with glasses is fine but I'm still fidgeting with the IPD setting for best results. The IPD lock feature is a plus. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment using my new Leupolds.
Dennis

Dennis, Glad to see you like the Leupold Gold Ring 8x32 HD.

"I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment using my new Leupolds." With this being a Leupold Gold Ring it is lifetime guarantee. Also send back for check-ups cleaning etc., pay postage only.:)
Regards,Steve

Dennis,

Like Steve said, in addition to saving a few bucks with the Leupold, don't loose sight of their great lifetime service policy for their Gold Ring products. I've just been notified that my vintage (circa '83 - '87) 9x35IF Gold Ring porros are on their way back to me after servicing to include collimation. The only cost I incurred was shipping them off to Leupold. And I am not even the original owner :)!

I put their service right up there with Swarovski.

--Bob

Bins: Swaro 7x42B SLC; Pentax 8x32DCF-WP/9x21UCF; Minox BD6.5x32IF; Leupold 9x35IF Gold Ring/8x30 Yosemite/; Orion 9x63 Mini-Giants; Binolux 7x35 11° & 10.5°

Last edited:
Bob,
Thanks for the information on Leupold's commitment to service - very reassuring. I have to admit to a bit of backsliding with my original Leupold 8x32 purchase. Although I enjoyed using the binocular, I concluded that the $1200 price tag was a bit extravagant for me at the time and I returned it to Eagle Optics for a refund. However, with the recent price drop, I couldn't resist purchasing them again. The 8x32 HD Golden Ring is an outstanding binocular and, at its current price, anyone looking for a high quality binocular would be well advised to consider it. It is my everyday binocular and I now have no regrets.
Dennis

Dennis,

I'm sitting here ecstatic and in shock at what all was done to my vintage porros. They not only collimated the unit, but disassembled and cleaned it inside and out. Adjusted the prisms internal mountings, replaced an eyecup, tightened up the hinge, and believe it or not addressed (as much as humanly possible) the "field dings" on the body such as refinishing the aperture lens rings. It arrived in a new case with new caps for the lenses and oculars as well. These 25 year old bins are as close to new now as possible!

If they had 7x bins I'd be selling off my Swaros and buying Leupold :)

Bob A, how do you like your Yosemites? I have a 6x30 pair on the way.

Thanks,
John

John,

Quite well. The 8x30s rival my Pentax 8x32DCF-WP optics in most respects and offer (understandably as they're porros) better 3D perspectives. They are my backpack bins having supplanted the smaller and lighter Pentax 9x21 UCF-minis I used for years.

I agree with all the pundits who have proclaimed the Yosemites (both 6x and 8x) as being among the top bang for the buck bins available today.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back