• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insect ID Portugal (1 Viewer)

Bembix, not sure how many species in Spain.

You lost me there Simon??? Lol.

I was gently pointing to the fact that the Algarve is not Spain, using classic scientific naming ;) Portugal, all too often is treated as Spain - even with scientific names going back a long way:

"ibericus" = from Iberia
"hispanicus" = from Spain
"lusitanicus" = from Portugal

Its a bit like calling the Scottish, English, but hey no problem - just a little poke :-O

I was gently pointing to the fact that the Algarve is not Spain, using classic scientific naming ;) Portugal, all too often is treated as Spain - even with scientific names going back a long way:

"ibericus" = from Iberia
"hispanicus" = from Spain
"lusitanicus" = from Portugal

Its a bit like calling the Scottish, English, but hey no problem - just a little poke :-O

You could easily have reversed that too.

Re the Wasp, it's a beauty, I can see neither ibericus or hispanicus in a list of European species on Wiki but no idea how complete it is or how easy they are to separate?

List of species (Europe)

Bembix bicolor Radoszkowski 1877
Bembix bidentata Vander Linden 1829
Bembix cinctella Handlirsch 1893
Bembix flavescens F. Smith 1856
Bembix geneana A. Costa 1867
Bembix megerlei Dahlbom 1845
Bembix merceti J. Parker 1904
Bembix oculata Panzer 1801
Bembix olivacea Fabricius 1787
Bembix pallida Radoszkowski 1877
Bembix rostrata (Linnaeus 1758)
Bembix sinuata Panzer 1804
Bembix tarsata Latreille 1809
Bembix turca Dahlbom 1845
Bembix wagleri Gistel 1857
Bembix zonata Klug 1835

Last edited:
Andy, sorry for being misleading - I was really only pointing out that (all too often) folk refer to the Iberian peninsula as Spain ;) I wasn't suggesting a species name for that lovely wasp. Apart from butterflies I am not at all knowledgeable about insects.

What I do find living down here is that regularly folk refer to Irish or Scottish people as being "English", which can be disturbing and reflects a lack of education. Maybe the fact that I am of Welsh heritage makes me over-sensitive ;)

A quick search revealed that there is a species of wasp called Ceramius lusitanicus.

Last edited:
Not my field but Fauna Europeae lists the following species/subspecies for Portugal:

Bembix bidentata Vander Linden, 1829
Bembix oculata subsp. oculata Panzer, 1801
Bembix rostrata (Linnaeus, 1758)
Bembix olivacea Fabricius, 1787
Bembix wagleri Gistel, 1857
Bembix tarsata Latreille, 1809
Bembix zonata subsp. zonata Klug, 1835
Bembix flavescens subsp. bolivari Handlirsch, 1893
Bembix sinuata Panzer, 1804

Andy, sorry for being misleading - I was really only pointing out that (all too often) folk refer to the Iberian peninsula as Spain ;) I wasn't suggesting a species name for that lovely wasp. Apart from butterflies I am not at all knowledgeable about insects.

What I do find living down here is that regularly folk refer to Irish or Scottish people as being "English", which can be disturbing and reflects a lack of education. Maybe the fact that I am of Welsh heritage makes me over-sensitive ;)

A quick search revealed that there is a species of wasp called Ceramius lusitanicus.

I'm sure that referring to various UK residents as English, reflects ignorance of what the UK is plus, probably not being able to recognise an accent.

My point was that Englishmen, probably wouldn't be delighted to be called Scottish either though it does seem a lot less sensitive than it does in reverse.

A misunderstanding of what the UK actually is, is a common theme, particularly with Americans, I think that many people assume that the UK and England are two names for the same thing?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back